Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What lift?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimsTJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i read a write up on the fan shroud drop, and it looked pretty straightforward, but what I didnt like was the talk of having to drop the t-case and mess with the shifter and stuff. Is that all necessary too?

I guess what im asking is what is teh less hassle? The MML or adjusting the other junk.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropping the t-case is only necessary to cure minor vibes from the lift and changes that result to the driveline angles.

With the BL, you will need to address the t-case shift linkage. A MML won't prevent you from having to do this. The stock linkage is supported on the t-case and the body. When you change the vertical relationship of the drivetrain and body, you need to address the t-case linkage. The 1" BL kits I know of provide the drop down bracket and include instructions on any other modifications that need to be done.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing thats very true for Jeep TJ's is....they aint all alike. Each and everyone can have its own little idiocyncrecies. On my rig when I did the MML and BL together I didnt have to do anything with the shifter linkage. My JKS BL came with the small adapter plate that is used to correct problems should they arrise. Some TJ's need the adapter plate and some dont. Generally if you do a BL and not the MML at the same time then its always needed.

If you have to install the linkage plate, its no big deal.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
JimsTJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pretty much no need to get a MML yes?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a neccesity but it has some other advantages than just having to avoid messing with the shift linkage.

A MML gets your oil pan up another inch away from potential harzards off road. This is very important if you dont run any form of engine skid.

Another big issue with MML's. If you do any sort of suspension lift, anything from BB spacers to lift coils your rear drive shaft angles will change. When you hear of someone complaining that they feel a new vibration after doing a lift, and btw even a BB can cause this on some TJ's, that vibration is caused from the u-joints binding due to thier severe angle they are now at.

If you look at the rear driveshaft you'lle see that its only @14" long. Being so close to the rear end, it dosent take much of a lift to screw up that shaft angle. For a moderate lift say maybe up to @ 4" or so, a MML can help correct the shaft angle. As you lift the front of the engine with a MML it drops the rear a little, but usually enough to get rid of some of the vibe.......sometimes. This is where the law of no 2 Jeeps are the same applies.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
JimsTJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yesterday I did the the JKS BL and RE BB install. We ran into quite a few hassles that included having to use the torch to cut stuff off and improvising for a bunch of hardware that wasn't included. Ended up pretty much taking all day to do both lifts. Either way the final product was worth it. There is no vibrations and it drives great. I love the new stance and it feels so much higher just riding in it. And to my surprise the 31s dont look too bad on it. I will soon be getting 33s, but until then the 31s look good.

Thanks for the help guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: