Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noisy steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Noisy steering Reply with quote

Since it's a common problem on TJ's when the weather turns cold - here's the TSB on the horrible screeching when you turn the steering wheel. Personally, I use silicon spray, but I've also heard people have success with WD40.

**1997 - 1998 (TJ) Wrangler**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A squawking or scrapping noise coming from the steering column which may be confused with clock spring or steering column bearing noise. It is most common in cold ambient temperature. The noise may be caused by a lack of lubricant between the intermediate shaft and the rubber boot at the base of the steering column.

DIAGNOSIS:
If customer complaints are received, inspect the steering column and intermediate shaft for any worn or damaged components and repair as necessary. If no worn or damaged components are found, perform the repair procedure.

PARTS REOUlRED:
1 04680370 Lubricant, MOPAR Seat Belt Track

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves lubricating the steering column intermediate shaft and boot.

1. Unseat the intermediate shaft boot from the collar at the bulkhead. Slide the boot up the shaft to gain access to the area where the small end of the boot contacts the shaft.

2. Apply a liberal amount of the lubricant, P/N 04680370 to the shaft in the area where the small end of the boot contacts the shaft. Slide the boot into this area and work the lubricant into the boot by sliding and rotating the boot against the shaft.

3. Seat the large end of the boot into the collar on the bulk head, making sure that the boot is fully seated.

NOTE :MAKE SURE TO FULLY SEAT THE LARGE END OF THE BOOT TO THE COLLAR ON THE BULK HEAD. IF THE BOOT IS NOT FULLY SEATED IT MAY WORK LOOSE AND ALLOW EXCESSIVE ENGINE AND ROAD NOISE TO ENTER THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT.
iNSaNeR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've been putting off buying the silicone spray... TOOO DAMN COLD to be working on the jeep! But the sqeak has bothered me for 3 years now. I guess I finally go used to it! Very Happy

Green Jeep Club Member #3
Purdue Off-Road Club
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard in the past that the clock spring can be damaged by great amounts of water leaking through the dash, etc.. So, if yours keeps going up during the summer months when the top is down during the downpours, you know why Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: