Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need pics of YOUR aftermarket front/rear bumpers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.. SirGCal.. Welcome to the board.. Glad you decided to come and see us..

THats a nice rig....

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SirGCal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front is the Fabtech Tubular and the rear is a (Daystar) Rock Krusher.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SirGCal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
Hey.. SirGCal.. Welcome to the board.. Glad you decided to come and see us..

THats a nice rig....

Carl

Thanks Carl!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scootr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pic of one that a guy on Ebay fabs and sells...He hasn't had any up for auction for the last couple weeks but most have sold in the 120-150 buck range...not too shabby.The price even includes the D rings in whatever color you want. They are made to fit both TJ and YJ's. His ebay name is buddgr

ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scootr wrote:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/pbd83d923e9b0068b3c4ffa0e061f1c99/fa84e86e.jpg

I'm not sure I feel comfortable having shackle mounts welded on to the face of the bumper.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
scootr wrote:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/pbd83d923e9b0068b3c4ffa0e061f1c99/fa84e86e.jpg

I'm not sure I feel comfortable having shackle mounts welded on to the face of the bumper.

Yup, my first thought also.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving this thread!

I've been going back and forth between bumpers/carriers. I just CAN'T decide!!!

Right now I'm just researching so price doesn't come into the equation yet. All I want is something that will support 4 lights and possibly be expandable to a winch (if I ever go hardcore). So far the only one I've seen that accomodates that is the Garvin units. But I love the Warn and the Rubicon style (1st pic in 007's post). I can always relocate two lights to the windshield frame I guess...but I'd rather not re-do all my wiring for two lights.

SIGH...decisions...decisions...

Anyone have any input on those 3 (Garvin, Warn, and Rubicon)???
As it stand I'm seriously leaning towards the Warn and just drilling holes for the lights...good idea...bad idea...whatcha think?

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so freaking torn as well! I'm just curious, what's the issue with the shackle mounts, I see them alot welded to the front.. Just looking for knowledge here!!
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think their weak points to be used for tow purposes, even if their welded directly in-line with the frame tie-in points. I'm not sure what the tensile strength is of one of these and all I can see happening is that with enough force one of these snapping off the bumper and becoming a flying guillotine...bad mojo IMHO. Same could be said for tow hooks I guess. But they do look awefully cool.

IMO its far better to wrap a tow cable around one of the pumpkins, axles, or frame. I guess it just depends on just how "stuck" you are.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
All I want is something that will support 4 lights and possibly be expandable to a winch (if I ever go hardcore). So far the only one I've seen that accomodates that is the Garvin units.

The Jeeperman's do the same thing. One pair of lights mounts in a location similar to the stock location on the OEM bumper. The other pair would go on the hoop. On the website, they are all mounted above the hoop, but I would imagine you could just as easily hang the lights upside down to fill in where the winch goes. Not to mention the winch plate is built in to the bumper.

I think the Jeeperman is a better match for you than the Garvin. I don't believe that has the winch plate built in, and you need to purchase special brackets for a second pair of lights. Like I've said before, the Jeeperman bumpers are the most-bang-for-the-buck bumpers you can buy!
SirGCal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
Personally I think their weak points to be used for tow purposes, even if their welded directly in-line with the frame tie-in points. I'm not sure what the tensile strength is of one of these and all I can see happening is that with enough force one of these snapping off the bumper and becoming a flying guillotine...bad mojo IMHO. Same could be said for tow hooks I guess. But they do look awefully cool.

IMO its far better to wrap a tow cable around one of the pumpkins, axles, or frame. I guess it just depends on just how "stuck" you are.

KnightFire

Actually, the strength really depends on who did the weld and how... A 'correctly' done weld will be stronger than the metal surrounding it. (I.E. if pulled to the breaking point and the weld is the same thickness as the metal; the metal will rip before the weld gives.) So really the issue there then is; was it welded on a Wed, or a Friday at 4:45? and was it Sr. Welder Bob or his pimply student Dufas who did the welding?

All and all, I'd be more worried about a bolt snapping than a good solid weld giving. (but is the weld in question good and solid? or does it just look good and solid... Muahahaha) Therein lies the biggest issue.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pic shows the 2 mounting locations on the bumper itself, kind of gives a look at the winch plate and shackle mount as well. The shackle mount is welded on both sides of the bumper and I doubt that they could be ripped out. That face welded mount would scare the hell out of me and I wouldnt try to pull someone out with those.

This pic shows the tabs on the hoop that could be used for light mounting. So it would be no problem running 4 lights of this.

Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the LoD bumper that goes for about $400 shipped...

WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks well built, except for the receiver. The way they welded it to the botom of the bumper makes it look like it was an afterthought.

My other thought on the receiver. Welding it to the bottom like that dosent give it much weld surface. It has just a couple short welds. Most others cut the receiver through the bumper and weld it all the way around from both sides.

Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my old Durango 4x4 bumper with Warn lights mounted on it.

This is the start of my new bumper I'm making. It's 1/4" plate I had broke, set it on the front of the Jeep and started marking (and cutting) how I wanted it to end up looking. More work to come.

Will be adding d-rings, steering box guard, hoop/guard for winch and boner bar.

Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: