Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

89 laredo XJ - no spark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mckeig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: 89 laredo XJ - no spark Reply with quote

I have a recent recurring problem of no spark (when checked at the coil) I replaced the coil, I have a new battery, and I checked the ground, etc. About once or twice a week now I get the same symptom. It will just crank and crank. Sometimes if I unplug the cps and plug it back in it will start. This morning I rolled the jeep about 3 feet back before trying to start and it started (could be unrelated) since it wouldn't start at all last night.

Any suggestions? Does this sound like it could be a bad (or going bad) cps?

Chad
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you did this already...but get a test light and clip one lead on the negative side of battery, turn the key on and check both wires on coil . One wire should have positive voltage with key on. Now switch the clip to the positive side of the battery, probe the other wire (the one that didnt have power) while someone cranks the motor. The test light should flash on and off.

If you have both power and a pulsating ground (negative), the coil should spark. If you have both but no spark , bad coil. If you dont have a hot wire with the key on check your engine ignition fuse under the hood. If you dont have a pulsating ground you probably need a crankshaft position sensor.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eric

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the test described. With test light on ground, I only get light for a second when I first turn on the key and then it goes out. I can repeat this over and over. I try the other side and get nothing. Assuming the side that that does light up only for a second is the positive side, I hooked the other up to the pos. side of battery and no pulating ground as described. Any thoughts?

I was flushing my radiator and the motor just stopped after about 3 minutes like someone had turned off the key. No spark since then. No spark at plugs and no spark at coil.
________
New jersey medical marijuana

Last edited by eric on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor).
eric

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the CPS. I just changed that and what a mother@#$%& that was. I had my wife and one of my kids helping me reach that thing. Still does the same thing though. No spark. Hook test light to neg. battery and pos. coil, turn the key on and it will light up for a second and then go off again. It does this consistantly. Almost seems like a relay or something?
________
RS200

Last edited by eric on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
eric

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ended up being the coil anyway.
________
AMERICAN RECIPES
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: