Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gear drops?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: gear drops? Reply with quote

I didn't see this topic elsewhere...

I have a 99 TJ, in the last week its dropped out of gear 4 times when i start moving from a stop light. It also makes a very jarring bang.... feels like someone ran into the back of you.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to look for.

If you have a BL installed, or any lift I suppose, there can be a small issue that changes the relationship of the tranny to the tub clearence so that the rubber shiffter boot and insulation put enough pressure on the shifter itself to pop it out of gear. Cold weather seems to increase this problem, tho its usually 2nd and 4th gear that want to pop out.

If its caused by a BL, which most brands come with a shift linkage adapter plate to correct, and that adapter wasnt installed, the same problems can happen.

If its stock from the lift at all, then the shift linkage may be out of happens with age and use.

Being a 99 and you say its a jarring expeirence makes me also think that the engine mounts are maybe the culprits. Jeep engine mounts do wear out and the rubber isolator breaks down. Same goes for the tranny mounts. IF one breaks the other usually follows due to the created excess movement. This can cause the engine to move a bunch when you apply torque to it. The safe way to check for this. Have someone in the drivers seat working the gas peddle while in neutral and brakes on, while you watch what the engine does. If the engine mount isolators are junk you will see the engine hop up and down or tip to one side as the gas is applied. Brand new there is some movement, but when broken the engine will realy jerk around in a violent motion.

If the tranny mounts are wore out, this is harder to see. But crawl under the Jeep with some sort of pry bar and place it between the tranny and skid plate and push down on it so that it wants to push up the tranny. IF broken, you will see the movement between the 2 quite easily. If okay it shouldnt move much and it will have lots of tension so that it feels bolted together.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: