Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4-Wheel or no?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheap cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: 4-Wheel or no? Reply with quote

I just took my 91 XJ acsoss a couple ditches in the field out behind the house to try out the four wheel drive stuff and found that the front drive seems to be slipping. Like if I get one rear tire off the ground I pretty much can't go any where except by slipping the brakes to get the posi to grab. But sometimes the front will kick in and spin the front tires a little. It happens it all the 4wheel positions on transfer. I've got the 242 I guess. It has thepart time 4-wheel position (BTW, whats that for and hows it work?). Thanx for helping.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. 87-01 XJ's had two options for transfer cases. The NP242 transfer case has a full time 4wd option. The NP231 is part time only.

The difference is that in part time 4wd, the wheels will turn at the same speeds, which is what you want in an offroad situation. In full time they can turn at different speeds. This is important because when cornering, the wheels to the outside of the turn will spin faster than the wheels on the inside of a turn. So, you can run it in full time 4WD on pavement.

As far as the front axle working sporadically, the 91 has a vacuum disconnect system on it which engages the front axle. So you could have a problem with either the vacuum lines or vacuum acuator on the axle.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheap cherokee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check the vacuum when I get the chance.
BigDawgz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure when you're playing like this....that you have the transfer case shifted into 4hi-part-time....or 4lo. If you're in the 4hi-full-time the front-end is allowed to differentiate from the rear and it can cause situations like you were stating in your first post....where you have to "ride" the brakes to get the posi to engage because it feels like the front-end is slipping. Just put it in Part-time....and go have fun. I'd also check all the vacuum on it while you're at it...like what was stated earlier also. Have fun
Aron
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: