Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1994 JGC transmission...help! 3 part ques

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: 1994 JGC transmission...help! 3 part ques Reply with quote

Hi all, first off. New to jeeps. Bought a 1994 Grand 4.0 4x4 from my cousin and its stuck in NJ wiht dead tranny. Havent even gotten time to enjoy it! Im in Atlanta so I need to get it form his in laws house. Lots work has been done ie fuel pump compressor..etc etc. Only 160,000. Im a GM guy and have changed trannies with my friends but not jeep. I know my way round an engine. Realistically bout how long shud it take?
Second, I have been lookin for a tranny thats good price (used) and cant seem to find the 42RE. At least the ones ive found are for 700/800+. Anyone know anyone,thing? Budget is little tight and need it back home to drive. Looking for used tranny so its O.E and as long as it will last and make it home to Georgia mileage isnt really issue. NEED ONE BAD! lol please help Very Happy
Third, any tips or pointers on changing tranny wud be appreciated. I know newbie to jeep....go ahead starting flamming away! lol Rolling Eyes Thats again to all. I really want to get a tranny in soon! BTW, yes i have checked ebay and many many national parts places. Very Happy
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD

Last edited by radioren on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy on my local forum has a 42RE for sale..
http://delta4x4club.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2336

How long it should take depends on whether its a V8 or an I6 .. The V8 is much harder to do cause the engine is so big and its hard to get to the bolts..

Also if its 4WD you will have to take the t-case out first..

It will probobly take you about 2 or 3 hours to drop it..
Be carefull of the Crank position sensor. They break easy and they are about $50..

Post up more info on the rig and I can help more..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
radioren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out but he didnt say if its a 42RE. I sent him an email. It is a 4.0 6 cyl 4x4 auto grand cherokee laredo. I found out the other day after many phone calls to dealers that the aisin-warner from a 93 wont work that the 42RE came on 93.5 model year. I havent even taken ownershipof it fully since it got stuck!! lol It has 160,000 miles. replaced so far by my cousin is:new compressor,brake rotor,pads,cylinders(week before it died),exhaust mani,windshield,sway bar and bushings,pinion seal and fuel pump. I onlypaid $1500 for it so im hoping to get miles outta it. Ive always luved grand cherokee. Im a GM guy that i have worked one so I know how to wrench and appreciate ANY and all help you can give me. First off is getting a tranny for good $$ to NJ ! lol
________
Tavera

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check on that XJ for you as well... Ill let you know how it turns out...

How Much are the local shops asking to rebuild???

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
radioren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: 42RE tranny Reply with quote

Hey swamp boy. Thanks for that lead on the tranny. I hooked up with the guy from your local board. He said even tho its a 93 it IS a 42RE and fits my 94. WE made a transaction right off this mornin and hes almost done pulling it and gone crate and ship it thurs. I think I may have to have a local person install the tranny since cousins in laws are not gonna let me work on it tool and are freakin out bout car being in driveway! couldve told me this sooner!rofl lol I just am hopin everything is legit cuz $$ is super tight and cant afford to pay to have someone reinstall a tranny cuz its not the right one! How much u think its gonna be for a mechanic to install it? You think maybe $300 is about right? Also, do you know dave (from local area) pretty well? Seems like a good guy. Thanks again for the hook up
________
FREE VAPORIZER

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. I know him well.. He is a nice guy.. I have bought several things off that grand my self.. Very Happy ( Passenger mirror and grill..)

He actually contacted me about shipping the tranny since I have sold and shipped several trannys and axles and transfer cases..

Do you have access to any kind of commercial address.. IE work dock or even know someone who works at a grocery store or something...

The freight shippers I use have to deliver to a commercial address.. I use my wifes restraunt to ship.. Mr. Green Its big enough for a semi truck..

I am sure you guys will work it out .. Just trying to help..

Carl

radioren

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: 42RE tranny Reply with quote

Yeah he seems like a good guy. Again thanks for the help. ITs cool to have good people looking out! Smile AS for the loading dock the tranny may be shipped to a local mechanic so Im sure he has a fork lift. But I will square that away today. You know what it SHOULD cost to install the tranny? I mean on average. Thanks again for the help Carl. When I get the thing finally down here then Ill ask about lifting it! Very Happy

-dj REN-
________
M271 Engine

Last edited by radioren on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about install price.. I couldnt even begin to guess.. Sorry...

Ask them ahead of time ... They probobly charge book hours so they can give you a difinate price...

Carl

radioren

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats what i figured. Im guessing about 300 or so based on the GM trannies Ive taken out etc.
________
NEVADA MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: