Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2005 Warngler X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
someone16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: 2005 Warngler X Reply with quote

Ok so I am going to be getting a new wrangler soon. I think im going to get a three inch chasis lift with mickey thompson classic lock rims and procomp 33 inch tires. I plan on doing some moderate offroading immediatly and maybe getting serious about it later. Does any one have any suggestions or comments as to what i should do to it? Thanks.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first suggestion would be maybe look at the Sport over the X if your planning on build-up. Or if finances allow go for the Rubicon.

The X is an extreamly capable rig as is from the showroom, but its main downfall is in its drivetrain. First of all its way undergeared for bigger tires. That is to say that it has "highway" friendly gearing. Just moving from the 29" to 31" tires changes the final drive ratio and will make the X offroad unfriendly. With the X in first gear low, it wont realy crawl anymore. With 33's on it will realy throw it out to lunch. A great example of how the X would react on 33" tires, is to try to take off in 2nd gear all the time....which sucks. Off road it realy bites....any crawl range is nonexcistant and speed while offroading isnt a good thing. All the control is lost.

Now back to the Sport. Look for a Sport with Dana 44 rear axles and 4.10 gearing....now you have a good drivetrain to work from. The 4.10 gears will now easily handle up to 33" tires. Quite nicely even. And the D44 rear is stronger than the D35 that comes in the basic X package. I havent paid attention lately, but DC hasnt been offering the D44 in the X in the past, and I beleive that they still arent.

Gearing makes a world of difference in the final tire size you choose. If your plans have you purchasing an X and regearing, then you probably gonna be up at the cost of the Sport anyway.....so let DC to it for you and be covered under warrentee.

And btw...I had a X model and was planning to do all the same as you are, but after doing the math on upgrade costs, it ended up being much cheaper for me to just trade the X in for a Rubicon. I could have scoured junk yards and taken 10 months to get around to cleaning up junk yard axles and regearing them.....well lets just say with my scheduel it would have never happened and the junk yard axles would still be sitting out behind my house and my X would have been traded in for the 05 Mustang GT by now rofl

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's

Last edited by WhatWasIThinkin on Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking at an X and desire to do any legitimate offroading, do yourself a favor and get either the Rocky Mountain package (adds a D44 rear to the X trim package) or skip the X and go right for a Sport with the D44.
someone16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks but i looked on jeeps website and it looked like the highest gear ratio on the sport edition is 3.73
someone16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also would i have any clearance problems with the tires?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 33's and 3" of lift? Definately no issues for on-street use. Off-road, maybe, maybe not. Depends on the actual net lift of the coils, actual height of the 33's, air pressure, bumpstops, flare/wheel backspacing combo, etc, etc, etc. More than likely you'd be fine. I ran 33's with just 3" Tera coils for awhiles and it came real close to rubbing the top of the front fenders during full stuff, but I managed to make it. I was running a real tight 4.75" backspaced 8" wheel and 12.50's. I can pretty safely say that if I had the regularly recommended 3.75~4" of backspaing the rubber woulda eaten my flares way before the fender was an issue. Pic for better visualization(I have a closeup of the front driverside area floating around that I'll try and dig up)....

As far as gearing goes, I ran 3.73's w/33's for awhile as well. I kept telling myself it wasn't that bad, but I was pretty sluggish on any sort of grade on pavement and like WWIT said, my crawl ratio while wheeling was just miserable. I know lots of folks do this, and say it's fine......I did too, but that doesn't make it 'right' if ya know what I mean. I put 4.56's in eventually and "WOW!" whatta difference it made. There's a lot of money to be tied up doing even a 'minor' lift right. Gearing and other stuff not even mentioned yet, like suring up your steering...because the OEM stuff is gonna take a dive on ya sooner or later, guaranteed. Not trying to discourage ya, just letting you know about all the other things I never thought of when it came to 'just putting a lift and some bigger tires on'. HTH Smile
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, forgot since you're talking about an 'X', the D35 isn't very friendly when combined with lower gears, taller tires, and any kinda throttle. Not saying it's gonna gernade pulling out of your driveway, but I've seen a couple go bang on the trail running lower than stock gears (mostly w/lockers) and 33" or taller tires. Another thing to factor in to the budget..............damn I'm negative Mr. Green .
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone16 wrote:
ok thanks but i looked on jeeps website and it looked like the highest gear ratio on the sport edition is 3.73

You won't find anything else numerically higher except on an SE or a Rubicon. The 3.07s found standard on the X package are a waste of money. I'll repeat what I said above. Either get the Rocky Mountain Edition which adds the Dana 44 to the X or get yourself a Sport. If you want to do wheeling, you'll want the D44. If you don't get it now, you will be kicking yoruself in the ass later.
someone16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea im ganna go with the sport its only like 30 a month more
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
someone16 wrote:

You won't find anything else numerically higher except on an SE or a Rubicon. The 3.07s found standard on the X package are a waste of money. I'll repeat what I said above. Either get the Rocky Mountain Edition which adds the Dana 44 to the X or get yourself a Sport. If you want to do wheeling, you'll want the D44. If you don't get it now, you will be kicking yoruself in the ass later.

Yep, wish I had known more about Jeeps when I got my X. I didn't even know they came in 4.10 gears, I got the deepest gears advertised 3.73:1 and thought I was getting as good as it got...then of course they offered the Rubicon the year after I bought mine...just bad luck all the way around.

If I had it to do all over again...I'd have waited for the Rubi. or at LEAST gotten a D44 rear end.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked in a while...but I think the only way to get 4.10's is to get a 4 banger (why, when you can have an I6) or get the Rubicon. If you're going Sport than get the D44 with 3.73's.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: