Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel pump not working-code 42

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan Schmaltz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump not working-code 42 Reply with quote

Fuel pump has been kicking in and out the past couple days and sputtering. Tried to start the Jeep this morning and fuel pump wouldn't kick in. Checked the voltage and it was good at the fuel pump connector, so I changed the fuel pump. Still doesn't work. I'm getting code 42, and all the fuses are good. I interchanged the fuel pump relay ASD and the horn relays, and they all worked in the horn slot. I do have splices in that circuit and the ECM is out of a 2000, and was told it was out of a 97. Help me I'm baffled.
97 4.0L Tj, 3" body, 33X12.5X15 TSL Swampers, MSD Ignition, Warn M8000, Custom front, rear bumpers, nerf bars. In process of swapping diffs, 44 front 9" rear 5.13 gears, making a custom 8" sus. lift with SkyJacker coils. Going to run a 38 Bogger.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...what circuit has splices in it? Are they there because someone swapped in the 2000 ECM and jury rigged it?

The 42 code can also indicate bad or missing Z1 voltage. The Z1 voltage is the voltage of the circuits fed by the autoshutdown relay...which are the fuel pump and switched-battery feed to the ignition coil. So it could be a failing or failed coil.

If that doesn't work, take it to AutoZone or someplace that will pull the codes for free. Since it's a 97 it's OBDII, but if you did the key trick it will only give you the OBDI codes (my 97 does the same thing). So having the codes pulled will give you the more detailed 2nd generation OBD info.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryan Schmaltz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the splices r cuz my t-case grenaded. there is no jery rigged wires just splices b/c the wires got shredded. and that was probly 4 or 5 years ago. and the fuel pump/ fuel level sending unit circut has the splices.
97 4.0L Tj, 3" body, 33X12.5X15 TSL Swampers, MSD Ignition, Warn M8000, Custom front, rear bumpers, nerf bars. In process of swapping diffs, 44 front 9" rear 5.13 gears, making a custom 8" sus. lift with SkyJacker coils. Going to run a 38 Bogger.
Ryan Schmaltz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a spare coil, nuthin any1 else have an idea?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: