Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2004 TJ Rocky Mountain Lift needs

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
1fox2go
Member


Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Location: Fishersville, Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the further you stick your wheels out the more stress you put on wheel bearings u joints and such time will show you...but it also depends on how hard you thrash

think of it this way

you have a short board and you put weight on one end...board is sturdy correct?

same weight on a board 2-3 times as long and the board bows
_________________
96 Cherokee 7.5 inch TnT long arm Locked F/R, D44 rear, 4.56s, 35x12.50 Muds/36x12.50 TSLs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
ehirner
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
the further you stick your wheels out the more stress you put on wheel bearings u joints and such time will show you...but it also depends on how hard you thrash

think of it this way

you have a short board and you put weight on one end...board is sturdy correct?

same weight on a board 2-3 times as long and the board bows

No shit. Thanks for stating the obvious. We already perfectly understand the concept. Your original comment that I'll quote again, implies that spacers put more stress on hubs and bearings than aftermarket wheels with less backspacing. They don't. Therefore, you're wrong. STFU.

1fox2go wrote:
dont get the wheel spacers...it puts lots of stress on bearings and such...mickey thompson wheels look good and they arent that high priced...

_________________
04 Unlimited
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Location: points that way...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel spacer + Stock wheel=4.25" backspacing
15x8 wheel w/4.25"=4.25" backspacing

Which one sticks out more? So the spacers will cause more failure because they place more stress on what? What stuff is being stressed that a wheel with 4.25" backspacing will not stress? I'm wondering because you're not recommending 4.25" backspacing (again: wheels + spacers) in this thread, yet in another you recommend 4~4.5" backspacing because anything further will place stress and all that jazz. Just wanna make sure you know what you're talking about before you start misinforming people. Too much 'he said, she said' goes on on the internet and someone could lose a lot of cash if they don't know what they're doing....not to mention that anything involved with modding you're vehicle can/will effect you and those around you. Even the choice of standard or synthetic blinker fluid.
_________________
Drink more Ovaltine!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
quadna71
Member


Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Location: Delaware

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
Even the choice of standard or synthetic blinker fluid.


they make a synthetic blend of that now??? Shocked
chris (has 3.5" backspacing on his aluminum wheels and grizzly + spacers on his fiance's with no ill-effects)
_________________
2003 TJ Sport
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Location: points that way...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Bobby Boucher wrote:
Momma says wheel spacers are the devil...


Chris, I run the new Amsoil stuff Mr. Green .
_________________
Drink more Ovaltine!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Billy's89XJ
Member


Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Location: I'm the Charlie Browniest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
Wheel spacer + Stock wheel=4.25" backspacing
15x8 wheel w/4.25"=4.25" backspacing

Which one sticks out more? So the spacers will cause more failure because they place more stress on what? What stuff is being stressed that a wheel with 4.25" backspacing will not stress? I'm wondering because you're not recommending 4.25" backspacing (again: wheels + spacers) in this thread, yet in another you recommend 4~4.5" backspacing because anything further will place stress and all that jazz. Just wanna make sure you know what you're talking about before you start misinforming people. Too much 'he said, she said' goes on on the internet and someone could lose a lot of cash if they don't know what they're doing....not to mention that anything involved with modding you're vehicle can/will effect you and those around you. Even the choice of standard or synthetic blinker fluid.


I agree 100%, same back spacing distance and no problems. I've been aroud Lowriders for years and have used a GOOD set of spacers, mainly to change a 4 lug to a 5 lug, which they sell ton a day. As long as the backspacing is equal you will have no problem.
_________________
"GODZILLA" More than a Jeep, it's family!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go
Member


Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Location: Fishersville, Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thats rite...my oppinon is shit

and i was talkin about the wheels plus the spacers being too much stress
_________________
96 Cherokee 7.5 inch TnT long arm Locked F/R, D44 rear, 4.56s, 35x12.50 Muds/36x12.50 TSLs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Billy's89XJ
Member


Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Location: I'm the Charlie Browniest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
yea thats rite...my oppinon is shit

and i was talkin about the wheels plus the spacers being too much stress


But if it's the same differance it's no problem. Won't effect anything.

Edit: And if they are good bolt on ones with studs.
_________________
"GODZILLA" More than a Jeep, it's family!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go
Member


Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Location: Fishersville, Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know...i took it he was gettin 4.5 back space plus spacers

dont worry about it

im rong nuff said so i'll STFU
_________________
96 Cherokee 7.5 inch TnT long arm Locked F/R, D44 rear, 4.56s, 35x12.50 Muds/36x12.50 TSLs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Location: points that way...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
i know...i took it he was gettin 4.5 back space plus spacers


Towerassoc wrote:
The wheels are the stock wheels that come with the Rocky Mountain, 15x8 Alco.

Bill


He's interested in keeping the stockers, which is why spacers or new wheels were mentioned. Not trying to make a dick outta ya man, just saying that there's a lot of money tied up in this stuff and I know most of us can't haphazardly throw it out the window on misinformation. Again, I can't tell ya how much bad stuff I've read over the years at JU, JF, Quad, and many other forums just because someone's read it in a post and then takes it as gospel and preaches to another who tell's his sister and her brother, et al. Just trying to make sure that isn't the case when people come here Smile .
_________________
Drink more Ovaltine!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
1fox2go
Member


Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Location: Fishersville, Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its ok

i mis read it
_________________
96 Cherokee 7.5 inch TnT long arm Locked F/R, D44 rear, 4.56s, 35x12.50 Muds/36x12.50 TSLs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Visit links4jeeps.com for write-ups, forums and clubs




Jeep®, Wrangler, Cherokee, Liberty and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler LLC.
jeephorizons.com is not in any way associated with or endorsed by the Chrysler LLC.
All other content is copyright Jeep Horizons 2004-2008.
Tech write-ups Links Discussion board Land use News Site Map Terms of Use

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group