Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Not To Break Your Rear Upper Shock Bolts

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: How Not To Break Your Rear Upper Shock Bolts Reply with quote

And I did some work today too, thank you very much Steve.

FM2CD has done five lifts on XJ's over the past year and half. Of those five all broke at least one bolt on their OEM rear upper shock bolts. Heck, there's a write up on the tech page about how to drill and tap them after they break. To save time when we did my budget boost I did not replace the shocks, today they are done (the rear at least). "Listen very closely now." I was prepared to drill and tap for new bolts. I had a brand new drill bit and larger bolts. However, the two things that did happen I was not prepared for.

2.) JKS did not supply the correct length bolts for their Bar Pin Eliminators (BPE.s).

Let me repeat myself, I DID NOT BREAK ANY BOLTS and this is why.

AIR TOOLS (there was much rejoicing)

Stock size 20" vs. Monroe Matics 21.5", part# 32269

All of the bolts backed out with no problems. "Feather the trigger and back em out," Steve said. That did the trick. How nice was that shizzle, no drilling, no tapping. On to the BPE install.

The second thing I was not prepared for was that JKS supplied the incorrect length bolts. JKS supplied 4 - 2" long 5/16" hex head bolts. I replaced them with the same length and size, but 6 point grade 8 bolts, so I wouldn't have to buy a hex head tool for install. After trying to put the first 2" bolt in, I realized it was 1/2" too long. My question to the gallery is, "Why would JKS think that I needed a 2" long bolt when the right size is 1 1/2"? Ponder that one. I'm pretty sure all XJ's use the same size's not the 1 1/2" that's used with the BPE's, stock size is 3/4" if my eye ball ruler was on today. Anyway, neither mine nor Steve's "bag o' plenty" was supplied with 1 1/2" 5/16 grade 8 bolts. To Jen's Jeep we leaped, new CB installed, Home Depot was our destination. Home Depot sucks, but this time they had the correct amount of bolts I needed in the right size, that would be 4 and that's all they had, but 4 was the magic number.

The rear shocks and BPE's are installed, pretty blue, oh it's so pretty.

OEM Shock Length:
Front - extended 22", compressed 14"
Rear - extended 20", compressed 13"

Shocks being used:
Monroe Matics Plus from Pep Boys:
Front - 94 YJ part # 32219, 23.875" with BPE 24.375"
Rear - 94 ZJ part # 32269, 21.5" with BPE 22"

Rear Shocks Torque Specs:
Upper bolt - 17 Ft Lbs
Lower Bolt - 46 Ft Lbs

After discussing the bolt size dilemma with Steve (OK we were swearing back and forth), we came to a consensus that neither of us in our web surfing time has come across anyone complaining that they got the wrong length bolt from JKS. I've seen a couple write-ups about their BPE's and no one has complained about this. Was it a one time thing, has anyone experienced this? If you have, or know someone that has, please reply here.

Go have yourself and schmoke and a pancake, I broke no bolts today!!! Finger

Last edited by majikxms on Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:08 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Sad LOL On Zilla I had no problems. Thats wierd about the bolts??
"GODZILLA" More than a Jeep, it's family!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: