Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lift regulations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: lift regulations Reply with quote

hey guys, im considering trading my current ride for a 93 YJ. My only concern that the lift is 6.5" via a Spring Over Axle setup along with 1.5" shackles, and 35x12.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's.

ive been looking aorund for the past hour trying to find state rules and regulations of lift restricitons and i havent had much luck.

i read the YJ FAQ, but I wasnt too sure what # i had to use to add onto. Do you guys know where i can find the regulations for maryland and flordia? since the vehicle would be registered to one of the 2 places.

also, is it illegal to drive through a state with a lifted vehicle higher than regualtons, even though its tagged and registered in a state that allows it?

and i doubt a snorkel and striaght pipe exhuast will pass emissions, am i correct?

if this is easily found stuff then tell me to STFU and ill get the hint and look around more. thanks for the help
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the most comprehensive list I've found comparing all of the states' laws. http://www.links4jeeps.com/link.php?id=1974
Depends how stringent the states are that you're driving through, but theoretically if you're in violation of the particular state you're in, you could get stopped. But, not all states are that worried about various things like frame height and so forth.
You might be okay with the snorkel, but the exhaust will probably cause you some problems.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try googling for the state legislature or house of representatives. Once you do find them, it will take you a couple of hours to sift through all the regs to find and interpert them (ask me how I know). I would start with inspection laws and go from there. Most states regulate it by bumper height.

Yes, it is illegal to drive through a state with a vehicle over (or under) that states regs. But, unless you're driving something like Grave Digger or Bigfoot, you prolly won't get ticketed for it unless they tag you for a moving violation first.

As far as emissions, without a catalytic converter it will definatly flunk.

Good luck.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick responses guys! I sent him an email askin how far off the ground the important stuff was, and if it clears, then i'll probably be a new owner of a YJ Cool
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with that, hope you get it!

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: