Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer case oil change . . .

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rammons

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, you guys ROCK! I did find the tag (my mind told me it would look different so I missed it) it was painted black so I missed it last night in the dark. I do not have the Locking diff. Going out to do the fluid change right now. I'll write back and let you know how it went!

Thanks again,

Bob
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll do fine and be sure to get all the old gasket material cleaned off the mating surfaces. Wink
rammons

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I managed to get the covers of the diffs (thanks for the rubber hammer trick), but getting the old gasket material off was a pain in the butt! It took hours for me to get that stuff off, and I'm not entirely sure I got it all off (especially on the rear diff).

The transfer case was easy as pie, just as you said it would be (thanks). I do have somewhat of a mess in the skid plate, but I'll wash that off at a car wash or something.

I haven't filled the diffs yet because I got tired of scraping old RTV off and I ran out of time. I'll fill them tomorrow night and see what happens. At least the RTV will be completely cured by then.

I found out I need a new radiator too. Noticed a leak while I was working on the front diff.

Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to being able to do more work on the Jeep!

Bob Very Happy
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rammons wrote:

I haven't filled the diffs yet because I got tired of scraping old RTV off and I ran out of time. I'll fill them tomorrow night and see what happens. At least the RTV will be completely cured by then.

You can use a plastic scraper like the one in the picture along with some brake or carb cleaner. I'm not sure the exact name of it, but it's about a buck and made for body work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: