Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dana 30 not working.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hilandfrog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: dana 30 not working. Reply with quote

hello all-
My 82 CJ-5 "old yeller", is the 5th CJ I have owned, the motors are easy but in the past I have swapped out axles vs. fixing them. The front axle, after throwing the drive shaft through my oil pan, is now "broken". The front shaft sheared the yoke off the pinion. but is still conected to transfer case. The flat bed showed up and drug old yeller up the bed then drove to my house, upon tilting the bed to drop him off, he would not move. The front hubs had to be disengaged for him to roll down into his parking spot.
I had not checked axle fluids for a while, but there is stil oil in there, tad low but does not seem critical.
R & P overheated welded together? Bearings welded to shafts? Sheared teeth?

So here are my questions:
1) Can anyone guess from what I have stared, WTF happened to the axel.
2) How far do I need to tear down the axel down in order to tell the extent of dammage?
3) What signs should I look for in order to tell if housing is shot.
4) Drivers side spring was dented/ bent by drive shaft, having it straighted at a spring shop sounds good but.......?

old yeller is not my daily driver but gets 50% pavement use, the rest is all fun. I enjoy trails and exploring, small time rock crawling but not enough to go bigger than 33's. Before I spend too much on fixing my narrow axle 30 I would want to put more money into or replace the POS 20 that still resides in the rear, so please go easy on $$ for fix suggestions.
Thank you in advance for any help
VR
nOOb
SDJeeprr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the pinon shaft break?
If it did, the pinon gear may have been pulled into the ring gear as the Jeep rolled backwards. Once it slid in far enough, everything jammed up and stopped. That is why you were able to roll it forward to get it on the flatbed. Moving forward, the ring gear was pushing the pinion gear outward and the inner pinon bearing kept things in place.

If that is not the case, once you pull the diff cover off, you should be able to get a good idea of what parts are not allowing things to rotate. Could be piece of metal in the gears, or siezed/broken parts.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...just pop off that diff cover and you should be able to start figuring out what happened

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Tardis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could've blown up the carrier and the broken pieces are locking the axle up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: