Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

31's, 2's, or 3's on my '01 TJ Sport?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: 31's, 2's, or 3's on my '01 TJ Sport? Reply with quote

Awesome forum. I've already spent many sleepless nights learning from you all, so I decided to register so I can play too.

I just bought a stock "01 TJ Sport. I'm getting ready to instal an econo 2" spacer lift and I am trying to decide what rubber to put on it. I think I have it narrowed down to the Trxus MT's or the Kumho MT's.

I think I should go with the 33" tires because I want to lift it more later and don't want to dwarf the 31's.

I think that 31's will fit my stock rims. This would save me buying new rims now. I belive I will need different back spacing if I go w/ the 33's.

Can anyone help me? My brain hurts from thinking to much.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah with a 2" BB lift you will clear 33's...but they will beat the hell outta the fenders if you disco the front swaybar and realy hammer it offroad. On road without proper backspace you will certainly rub. With stocker rims you will rub a bunch without spacers. A 4.00 to 4.50 backspace will take care of this problem......all this assuming that your concidering 12.5" section width 33's. With 10.5" section width this becomes less of a problem. Steel rock wheels are cheap. Quadratec ussually offers something for @ $35 bucks per wheel delivered to your door.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think I'm narrowed down to the Trxus. Still not sure weather to go 31 on stock rims or 33 on new rims. You assumed correct w/ the 33x12.50's. I'm looking at the Cragar 397's in Quadratec. Is 4.00 bs best?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that exact setup on mine....works great. But they do stick out beyond the stock flares, so something to concider if local federallies concider that a problem.

Heres mine on the 397 15x8 4"bs with TrXus 12.5 x 33's

Orng Beep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and people say steel rims don't look good. Rolling Eyes Do you think I'll be safe w/ the 2"BB? How about if I disco the sway bar and play hard? This TJ stuff is all new to me. I was used to my '81 CJ that was paid for and wasn't a daily driver. I was ruthless and it was fun. Now I have a daily driver w/ payments and I still want to have fun.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the black steelies. The only people I know that dislike them are the ricers, but thier idiots rofl That and I would rather bend a $35 wheel than break or bend a $150 bling aluminum wheel.

With a 2" BB and 33's your tires will be into the fenders and flares while disco'd. You would be better off leaving the sway bar attached and take it easy for a while and see what happens. If you go disconected, that allows a lot more articulation and if you get one front wheel in a hole or up on a rock its gonna shove the tire into the fender.

Maybe concider a 1 or 1-1/4 BL to go with the BB. BL's are simple to install. Even easier than the BB. That extra 1" makes a big difference in the tire/fender clearence.

ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
I like the look of the black steelies. The only people I know that dislike them are the ricers, but thier idiots rofl That and I would rather bend a $35 wheel than break or bend a $150 bling aluminum wheel.

You calling me a ricer? Them are fighting words, bisch.

I dislike steel wheels. They're heavy. They're frequently out of round from the factory. They're harder to get a good balance on. They bend easily making them out of round if they weren't from the factory.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl

harder to get a balance you say? More like friggin impossible. Mr. Green

If I had deeper pockets I would love to have aluminum wheels...something low-tech. But for me is all about the benjamins. $35 vs. $135+ if I wreck one.

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
But for me is all about the benjamins. $35 vs. $135+ if I wreck one.

Amen. Wink
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that makes me want one more drool

Very sweet, of course I would have to get one Electric Lime Green Mr. Green Don't mean to high jack the thread.
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Vic's89XJ"]Man that makes me want one more drool

I'll second that. Except I already have the TJ. I bought it in the city as a mall crawler. It broke my heart, having leather seats and skinny tires, so I gave it a new home. I'm going for this same look except it is yellow. I'll post some pics one of these days. That is if I can get my wife out of it long enough to snap a shot. Jeep is a disease and my wife has caught it. My 19mo son says "dady, orng beep! fo weewin!" That means lets go play in the snow!

Don't get me wrong about the alloys. But, likewise, the Benjamins are a factor. I think bling on a real jeep consists of wrinkled fenders and and excessive mud after a good day's wheelin! My non-understanding friends thought I was crazy when I told them, whith excitement Very Happy, about why my door had a tire track on it. These are the same friends who used to drive $200 cars w/ $2000 sterios. To each their own, I guess Confused .
Chuck's Girl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Orng Beep"
Jeep is a disease and my wife has caught it. My 19mo son says "dady, orng beep! fo weewin!" That means lets go play in the snow!

Yes it is very addicting. I was hooked back in October when Vic let me drive a little at Big Levels. Our 2 year old use to get soo upset when Vic was home and we hopped in the Van and not the Jeep. She would scream " NO NO NO!!!! Daddy's JEEP!!!!!!" But now that I have a Jeep she is satisfied with mine. rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She would scream " NO NO NO!!!! Daddy's JEEP!!!!!!" But now that I have a Jeep she is satisfied with mine. rofl rofl [/color][/quote]

That is beautiful. It almost brings a tear to my eye. Crying or Very sad I have converted my wife to a "Jeep Mom". Besides, I haven't found any forums talking about what size mud tires should be used w/ a 2" BB on a 'Town and Country'. jo

Now that our son knows how snow relates to the 'orng beep', I can't wait for spring and the new Trxus so I can teach him about the Jeep's affair w/ a good mud hole!
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orng Beep, you officially bring the suck at quoting.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Orng Beep, you officially bring the suck at quoting.
rofl rofl

and BTW Welcome to Jeep Horizons

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: