Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto dim mirrors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tech_ed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Auto dim mirrors Reply with quote

I just got a 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited...it's fully outfitted with the works including auto dimming mirrors. The inside rearview mirror autodims...and, according to the previous owner, the outside drivers mirror dims.
Now here's the problem. The driver's side outside mirror has a bronze tint to it. It seems to be some kind of fluid sandwiched between the mirror and a piece of glass/plexiglass. I know it's a liquid because it is slowly draining into somewhere. The mirror now shows the upper 3rd as a regular mirror and the lower 2/3rds with bronze tint. If you push in on the bronzed side, you can squeeze the fluid up...and even create bubbles.
My question is...how does this system work? To dim, does it pump the bronze fluid in that sandwiched area of the mirror into a resevoir? Or what? It's very confusing. I've never seen anything like it before. Any help?
Thanks
Ed
web/gadget guru
collin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror's dead, good luck finding a decent used one! I jsut ended up getting a non-dimming mirror to replace it, they are much more common (and affordable)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: