Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TJ Undercarriage skid plates

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: TJ Undercarriage skid plates Reply with quote

Guys, what skid plates are you currently using under your TJ to help protect steering box, motor oil pan, and gas tank?

I just purchased the Warn Steering box skid plate (as I have a Warn front bumper) and the Warn motor oilpan skid plate. I will later put on the rear gas tank skid plate. I understand some rear tank skid plates can gain you 1 inch of ground clearance. (which ones, does anyone know?).

The steering box skid plate was simple to install, and I will wait until another day to put on the motor oilpan skid plate.

I am curious if any of you are using any type of front and rear differential skid plates?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a good start. You may want to do something for the front and rear differential. This of how many times you hit a rock differential first, probably a lot.

There are a bunch of skid types for the diffs.

You can get something like Warn's which reinforces around the ring of the diff plus some metal on the front. There are a lot of brands on the market.

A second kind is like a shovel on the front, to help you side up and over obstructions. It covers the bottom lip of the diff, with four or so bars coming straight out meeting with a rounded bar in the front. This sometimes acts as a shovel, and doesn't really help protect the lower lip like you'de expect it to. I had one of these at first, but after a big lift and change in pinion angle it was pretty useless.

Third is a slider, sounds just like what it is. Some thin flat metal that attachs from in front of the diff back to the pinion area, allowing your jeep to slide (scrape!) over the rocks.

Finally, I decided to scrap the stock diff cover and the skid, and replace both with a heavy duty Chro-Moly diff cover from Crane. They're expensive, though, maybe $175. Blue Torch Fab makes similar ones, for a little less $$$. I like this approach, the cover is virtually indestructible, and I hit it plenty!

Good luck!
Delaware Jeep Association (Trail Boss 2003 - 2003)
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: