Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1996 jeep grand cherokee larado CONSOLE DISPLAY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: 1996 jeep grand cherokee larado CONSOLE DISPLAY Reply with quote

Isnt the console display (the one under the heater controls with the top view of the vehicle) suposed to light up when door is ajar, low washer fluid, etc...? All mine shows is if your in 2 or 4WD. Is it an option? can i get the parts to make all the warning lights work?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is the same way...i think you need a limited or laredo to have that option

doesnt bother me tho cuz i been hearing that stuff was goin crazy with those...saying things were open bad empty what have you when they really werent
Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True True... But I love electrical gadgets. Im just trying to see what knowlege and advice I can get off here before I tear My console apart again. If theres Parts to make it work I will find them, if not I get to play engineer. Im not to worried about the bugs, bugs are easy enough to tweek and fix.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to the junkyard and take one out of the console and check how it wires up....then look at yours if it wires up the same then thats easy part fixed...hard part is getting all the sensors to work...like when a rear tail lite is out...things like that i would think the doors would be no problem because they turn on the cab lights when open but i could be wrong....id see if they directly swap bolt one in and see how it goes....my dad works on chrysler dodge plymouth and hes not "certified" for jeeps but he does work on them i will ask him if it will work and how much work it would take to make it work
Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah???

I would think the display is fine other than mabey needs bulbs. All it really is, is an outline of the vehicle with bulbs behind it kinda like "dummy lights" . I would think, if its an option to have all the warnings, it would be sensors and switches in the various places and mabey wire harness and a bulb in its respective palce on the display.

See, Ford wires their cars for all options even if the option isnt on the base car the wiring is there, you can add the option later. I did that alot with my cougar, went to the junkyard and pulled off option like the electric trunk release and fuel filler door it already had power windows,locks and mirrors and drivers seat but the wire harness is there for the passenger side seat all id need to do is buy a power seat bolt it in and plug in the connector.

If this is an "option" on my 96GCL Id be lovin it if the wiring is all there.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually.. I think the wiring is all there.. Just go to the bone yard and pull a limited VCM... I think it willl work...

Also.. When I pulled my seats.. there where plugs under them for power But mine where not power seats..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right On!!! That would be sweet, make it real easy on me, I like when they do that...

And thats good to know about the seats. This summer when i get out to the bone yards around town, Ill have to watch for power seats at least for the driver side.

Oh and is that what they call that... a "VCM" ???

Whats that stand for???
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VCM is Vehicle control Module same as ECM it is the engines computer...

The display in the center console is called Vehicle Information Center.. (VIC)

Not the same thing...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea have the wires for power seats on mine and my seats arent power either, see if one bolts rite in if it does let me know....id like to get one
Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O ok....

So your saying the VCM controls the VIC and that it may be just a matter of swapping out the VCM for one that has those options?

That would just tickle my fancy.....

I will let you know on the power seats, I will deffinatly be lookin into that.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep'n'John wrote:
O ok....

So your saying the VCM controls the VIC and that it may be just a matter of swapping out the VCM for one that has those options?

That would just tickle my fancy.....

I will let you know on the power seats, I will deffinatly be lookin into that.

VIC

1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was talkn about the center display if you can swap one out and get the one that says door ajar and such let me know i wouldnt mind having one
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will work... That is a V-I-C.... Vehicle Information Center.... Cool

1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet yes VIC i mite get one...you have one swampy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: