Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fule issues #@!@!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonestajker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: fule issues #@!@! Reply with quote

so heres the promlem my lady toped off the tank got abotu 200 yards the jeep sputters and dies . Evil or Very Mad any was a tow latter and im stuck with a dilema . it a 89 with the 4.0 @ 220000 miles ,was running good, when i bought it the previous owner had resantly replaced the fule pump and filtre . i,ve had a cuple of issues with sputtering it died but would restart .

so the local mechanic on the block said that it sounds like the fule pump the was no fule at the sratter valve,@the pump was getting power .so i changed the pump , still wount start ? swiched the wires on the pump just incase i hoked it up wrong . nothing was coming out checked just befor the filter . it just cranks . any toughs. besides capping on my spelling . thanks
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have no fuel pressure? When you turn the ignition on does the pump keep running or not? (it should run for a few seconds and shut off after the pressure builds up)

If the pump just keeps running (and since it's new) there are two things that can be causing it. Either the pickup in the tank is clogged or the fuel pressure regulator is wide open. The fuel pressure regulator is at the front of the fuel rail (the silver pipe under the hood with 6 short sections that connect to the injectors) and is about the size of a handball. It has a relief hose with a quick connect that bleeds gas back to the tank. It also has a small vaccum hose on a push on connector. The vacuum is used to vary the fuel pressure as the vacuum changes with rpms.

You can test the regulator by taking a pair of vice grips and clamping the relief hose off (the one with the quick connect....be careful not to damage the hose). If the engine starts and runs with the relief hose clamped/blocked then the regulator is open and you'll need a new one.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bonestajker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: #$@%* fule Reply with quote

thanks ill give it a try . ? shouldnt the gas come out befor the filter if its diconected, or dose it need the presure to work ? i tryed this and no gas came out .(with the engine cranking,and with just turing on so that the pump ran ).last part can the pump be hooked up backwards? thanks
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not sure. I've always just checked for pressure at the fuel rail. You shouldn't need to crank the engine to test the pump. When you turn the ignition on, the pump is supposed to bring the system to pressure. On my 97, normal pressure at idle is right around 49 psi. I've read that it's lower on the OBDI models (like yours) somewhere around 31psi...don't quote me on that though.

There should be a keyed connector there that allows you to unplug the pump from the harness...unless someone previously cut the connector out and just spliced a new pump in. If that's the case, then it's definaltey possible to hook the pump up backwards

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bonestajker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it still has the wiring harrnes , i was refering to the pump its self.,when its pulled out of the tank theres a power wire a ground and a wire going to the flot, i dont have a gauge to test the pressure but there was no fule coming out of the valve when it was depressed.? the new pump did run for 2 to3 sec when the ingition was keyed on and for a sec after the engin had stoped cranking, but i was not getting fule to rail . i had read that the pump will run but not work if its hooked up /or is the wrong pump ,so i pulled it out /the pump and changed the conitions on the pump droped it back in hooked everthing up , and nothing Evil or Very Mad it just cranks over and no fuel. side note though ,when i reinstaled the pump i couldnt hear it running ?but i could never hear the orignal one eather . Rolling Eyes i ran out of time had to go to work Sad
bonestajker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its alive ! rofl the fuel pump was the copraite . i would like to give props. to autozone , they sold me a master craft pump for 72 $ sweet, or so i tought tell i installed it & the POS didnt work . anyways they took back the already sumarged pump & replaced it with a bosh pump ,retail 4 99 $. for the same 72 $. the bosh worked awsome , and the wiring was a no brainer the +/- were easly to tell apart . the beast fired right up rofl rofl . i would like to thank thephantum 4 all of ur imput ill probably be replacing the regulator really soon .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: