Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-176 Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: T-176 Help Reply with quote

My T-176 keeps getting stuck in 4th. I think the shift forks are worn and it's sliding too far which causes the springy things on the syncros to pop up and not let it disengage.

Anyone else have this problem?

80 CJ5
90 YJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

I had a 78 with T-178 4 spd and had a similar problem when going into reverse. The stick would get 'lost' and it would take a helluva long time of playing with the stick to get the rails aligned to engage the forks and get it back to having a shifting trans. The problem is that the shift forks are made of a relatively soft metal that wears and gets sloppy. Jeep makes a replacement fork that has hardened ends welded on them. The cost was like $90 and it is as simple as unbolting the shift tower and banging out the pins that hold the fork to the rails and makes the trans shift positively like new. If you do it yourself make sure when you reinstall the tower and new fork that you place the fork in the right position on the gears in the tranny. It will go back together in the incorrect place but will not shift at all. I recall that it took me 2 tries to get it right but when it is in alginment the tower literally will 'fall' into place and you don't have to play with it at all to get it to go down and seat on the top of the gear box. Don't install all the bolts until you verify it shifts right.

Hope this helps.
84 CJ-7
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: