Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for the cheapest upgrade to the 7 speaker system???

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Looking for the cheapest upgrade to the 7 speaker system??? Reply with quote

Well, I have done my research & testing. For those who don't want to break the bank & ustilize as much of the stock system as they can, you'll want to listen up. No need for new head unit, amp or new sub woofer enclosures. This is for people who want a good sounding system, but not for those wanting a ear crushing sound system.

I started out changing my front speakers with Infinity Kappa 5 1/4" & was happy with them (I guess just used to them). Well I ripped one on the install & when I got around to buying new ones, I got Eclipse 5 1/4" Seperates (~$250). Holy cow, what a difference! Why Eclipse??? Excellent build quality & the tweeter has optional mounting parts to make it easier to locate anywhere. I located mine on the inside windshield plasting molding on the sides of the windshield.

Then I did the famed 6" Sub swap out. But how I differed was that I did not use a new amp or head unit to drive that new amp. What I did was modified the sub box with a JL Audio 8W3v2-D2 (~$160). It is a 125W, Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer. It fit inside the stock enclosure after cutting into it to make it fit. The stock triangular amp still fits & the wiring to the JL sub is exacly like the stock one. I originally installed a 8" Power Base Xtreme Sub, but that was a Dual 4 Ohm sub. The JL now utilizes the full power of the stock amp beautifully! I have the DC RG1 Nav. stereo head unit & the sound that comes out of the speakers & sub kicks butt!

As for the stock sub enclosure, fill it with acoustic stuffing & make sure it is air tight. We used a glue gun to cover the area around the stock wiring harness wires comming out of the enclosure.

I've also changed the rears I put in another pair of 5 1/4" Eclipse Seperates, but you might want to do the above first & determine if you like the sound system as a whole.
'04 Solar Yellow AEV HEMI Rubicon
'05 SG/IR M3 ZCP
'00 Solar Yellow Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: