Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

v8 in a TJ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swindle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: v8 in a TJ? Reply with quote

Hey all,

just had a question about dropping a v8 in a TJ. My dad has a '99 4.0 TJ lifted with 33's. I like it but my only beef is i dont feel it has enough pep. I was contemplating a jeep of my own but id want to do something about this problem and a v8 swap came to mind. Im not gonna be doing any 'serious' off roading but still.

Now my only concern was fuel economy with a v8 in there but a mechanic had said that a v8 would, assuming you dont have a lead foot, give better fuel economy than the 6cyl or 4banger....is this true?? I mean rationalizing it a v8 would not have to exert as much effort to move the same amount of weight but its still pumpin to more cyl...

thanks all
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hemi and other V8s that have been swapped into TJs do appear to be working more efficiently than the 4.0. Bumpy could answer this better, but I believe the Hemis are pushing like 18-20mpg versus the 12-15 you usually see with the 4.0. Most likely, I would surmise it has to do with current technology in the Hemi and other V8s versus four decade old technology in the 4.0.

To fix your pop's problem, he likely needs a regear. My guess is he's still running the stock gears (3.73s or worse...3.07s). With 33s, he really should be looking at 4.10s minimum and would get a lot of his "pep" back. If his rig has been regeared to an appropriate ratio, then accept my apology for assuming. Ya know what happens when you assume, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: