Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP!! Removing the fan/clutch from the water pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: HELP!! Removing the fan/clutch from the water pump Reply with quote

I had fluid comming out of the 'weep hole'. No big deal just replace the water pump. However, I can not get the fan/clutch to come off the old water pump. On the YJ, one just removed the four nuts and lifted it away. Anyone know how to remove the fan? Thanks in advance.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "TJ Water Pump Replacement"

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/radiator/radiator-4.htm

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MadMan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TJ is a 2000. The four bolts and studs are gone. There is one large nut. I can find a million fan/clutch wrench sets for Ford, but, none for a Jeep TJ. As close as I can get is one for a Jeep V8 and at $80.00, it is a lot to spend on a guess.
jblade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace my water pump this past weekend on my 2000 Wrangler. Ran into the same problem with the Large Nut at the fan removal point. Dropped by NAPA and they let me "rent" for $0 a Ford Clutch set that fit just fine. Had a friend help out and it was off in a minute.

I'm a novice at jeep mechanics but had no problem replacing the water pump, thermostat, and serpentine belt following Stu Olson's write up. Thank you Stu, you save me $$$ and made me proud of myself. Very Happy
95sahara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the special wrenches, just use a cresson, or adjustable, wrench thats big enough. And break it loose with the belt still on. If it still slips, and if you are replacing the belt anyway, cut the old belt, wrap it around the pulley once or twice and have a buddy hold one end tight while you hold the other end and break the nut loose with the cresson wrench. Then keep that old belt around because you can use it for a lot of different purposes in the future. Thats what I've always done.
PICS
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: