Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help me with a lift plz --newbie--

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChorE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: help me with a lift plz --newbie-- Reply with quote

Hi i'm newbie and i want to lift a ZJ 97 5.2, i want to run 32 or 33 without or minor trimming. my budget is arround 800 bucks. I was thinking on a Tuff Country 3.5" plus 2" spacers.. i will need anything else?
The tuff country include this
Front Coil Springs.
Rear Coil Springs.
Lower Control Arms.
Front Track Bar Bracket.
Rear Track Bar Bracket.
Sleeve
Track Bar Sleeve.
Front brake line extension.
Shock Mounts
4 Shocks..

I will need anything else to do it right ? or with that budget can u tell me what to buy to get a 6" lift and where?

This will be a DD..

Thanks 4 your help.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its going to be a daily driver dont even attempt 6" till you can afford long arms.. It will not be nice on short arms and it will be on the verge of dangerous.. It will be doable with adjustable arms (upper and lower) and some drive shaft work.. But that blows your budget right out of the water...

The Tough country lift is pretty complete but the shocks leave something do be desired (this is second hand knowledge from someone I know very well, not just internet crap.) They made his ride very rough .. BUt changing the shocks out later to some Black Diamonds made the ride nice again...

Thats about it... Get the lift and buy some shocks later .. It will be fine..

Shocks are about $50 each for good ones or up to $100 each for very good ones...Smile I would settle for About $35 each for some decent ones and that should do you fine...

Oh yeah..When you upgrade your tires get a good steering stabilizer .. It will make a world of difference..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the tough lift and i like it good price and im running 265s which is damn close to a 32 and i got room for a smidget bigger tire ive been considering the 3/4 inch spacer and some trimming which i hope will be minor cuz i got 32s with no problem but i am still pondering as i dont want to regear i have a budget on what to put in my jeep and so far ive been able to go everywhere i want to with this lift and tire set up the shocks arent that bad im not complaining but as swampy said they are a little stiff and for the steering stabilizer yea definatly cuz im running the factory one and every pothole makes the steering wheel jar one way or the other

like i said i have the 265/75s and i like the way it is now i wouldnt mind going a little taller tho

get the lift and some 32s see how you like it if you need to go taller thats when you do it no sense in having a tall rig if you dont need it
ChorE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help..

So, even if i use the 3.5" lift plus spacer's 2" i will need long arms ?

i want to go the higher i can cuz i live in mexico and the ZJ i will bring it from US, and i want it to bringit with all the high i can Smile cuz here in Mexico a lift about 3" with a kit like tuff country is around 20,0000 pesos something like 1800 dlls Sad
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ...3.5 plus BB you will just need adjustable arms all around.. You can run 5.5 but 6" is starting to push it... I know it seems like a thin line but if you see the angle of short arms with 6" of lift you would understand..

My Adjustable arms are adjusted to push my front axle about 3" forward which put it back center the wheel well.. And in the back I am pushed back almost 4" which puts me a little farther back.. My current wheel base is almost 109 ..(Like 108 1/2 ) 105 is stock.. That extra length allows me a better angle on my short arms so that they are not to steep...

Also I have welded my brackets better than stock and reinforced all my lowers with 3/16 plate...

So .. There you have it... 5.5 is OK with short arms but they must be adjustable or your tires will be so close to your wheel wells that you wont be able to turn or drive over a bump...

You can however put on the 3.5 and save up for adjustable arms and put them on later and add the BB...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ChorE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i need adjustable arms uper and lowers, front and rears then ? and what to do with the arms that are included on the kit ?
Or u can recomend me a kit that doesn't include de arms, so i can go for the adjustable.

C ya
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: