Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cherokee engine problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkerem

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: cherokee engine problem Reply with quote

Hi all.
First Im sorry, Im not native english speaker...
I have 1989 cherokee (AT/AC) 4.0.
It has some mysterious engine problem. When I start the engine it takes about 10-20 seconds. When it idles then one or two cylinder will fail I think, anyway it is choppy. When Iím accelerating slowly the engine fails, when I do it extra slow the engine fails completely (shuts off). When Iím driving at solid speed the engine runs, but after some time it goes choppy again. When Iím accelerating very strongly (pressing the pedal to the floor), then the engine ďthinksĒ a moment and runs well. Acceleration is normal and the engine has the power.
So I have changed wires, fuel filters, spark plugs, MAP sensor. But the engine still has the same problem(s).
I suspect that on problem can be in fuel pump and/or vacuum lines. Also I found one resistor, in under hood (driver side).
So my question is what may cause the problems? Also does anyone have a vacuum diagram? Does anyone know how big the fuel pressure should be?

Thank You
Sammy Crash

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really should post this in the Cherokee forume, they'll be able to help more on that than us CJ guys and gals Wink
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this for you. Wink
MachineMan

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1990 and it also takes 10+sec to start while cranking. From what I've heard its normal becuase the computer is initailizing stuff prior.

If your idle is messed up check your EGR valve. It might be leaking exhuast into the intake at idle. Its only suppossed to at higher RPM's.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherokees do take longer to crank but shouldnt take 10+ seconds my guess would more in the neighbor hood of 3-5 as my father and friend has a cherokee and thats how long it takes for them to fire

check your sensors had a vehicle that the o2 sensor was bad and it would stall cough and sputter
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: