Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BF Goodrich Tires?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMikeH

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: BF Goodrich Tires? Reply with quote

My factory Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, P245/70R16, tires are wearing out. Does anyone recommend replacing them with BF Goodrich, maybe Open Trail or Long Trail?

I have an all factory 99 Laredo 4x4, V8, quadra-drive, up country suspension. I drive mainly on pavement but like to take a dirt road now and then. The ride, surprisingly, is very smooth, pavement or no, though the tires are noisy.

The Goodyears say Made in USA on them, and I would like the replacements to bear that same mark.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only BFG's Ive ever had were AT's and MT's. The ATko's are a great on/off road tire if your looking for a tire thats geared more towards road worthiness and great for offroad trails.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
BlueJ

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: BF Goodrich Tires Reply with quote

What are you planning to do with your jeep? BF Goodrich is the only tire I buy, but the specific one depends on the use.

My TJ is exclusively a trail rig, and I went from the Mud-Terrain (which I love) to the Krawler (which I love more). My XJ is for road use but I hope to do some mild trails soon, for this I bought a set of All-Terrains. I needed new tires for my F-250. They will hit snow and ice, but won't be aired down for trails. I bought a set of Rugged Trail for the truck.

Check out http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com for more information.
JMikeH

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the pavement most of the time. When I go to the dirt, it's generally level 1 - 3, i.e., dirt roads in not too bad of shape. That's why I was considering the Long Trails and Open Trails instead of the All Terrains, which seem like they are for someone off road more than me, and on tougher roads.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Long/Open trail tires are definetly more of a street tire than off road tire. For just basic dirt road driving there probably gonna be fine. Get into anything greasy offroad and they will probably let you down.

If you concerned about the roadability of the ATko's, IMHO they are they best on pavement AT out there. They do not feel like an AT at all on dry pavement. They are quiet and have great manners. They get even better when the roads are wet or icey....these things stick like glue. They also get great wear.

Another tire to concider is the Dakota AT tire from PepBoys. They are a inexpensive knock-off of the BFG AT....but with a slightly less aggressive tread. I had these on my RAM at one time and loved them on road.

BlueJ

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Open Trail and Long Trail tires look pretty decent (I've never used them though). But they don't look like they're designed for "aired down" use. I'd be concerned using them aired down on the trail.

All-Terrains are great on the road, and are designed for aired down use. You can probably get a good set used, people with AT's are always going bigger. I put a used set (under 3000 miles) on my XJ for $300.
81Scrambler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that BFG's are a great tire. I prefer the mud terrains over the all terrains. I have owned probably 5+ sets of BFG muds and have never had any problems with them on or off the pavement. They preform great in the rain, mud, sand and rocks. The only experience I have had with the all terrains was on an old Blazer and they seemed to wear out quickly. The only tire that I will NEVER buy again is the Pro Comp mud terrain. Good luck with your purchase.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have BFG ATs 33x12.50s on my TJ and they have been great. The only thing Ive ever had problems with is in deep mud and really loose snow. Man when they get packed "forget about it."

Everyday tires and playing on the trails aired down they've been very responsive tires. Sometimes you might have to manuvuer a little different to keep up with the guys running mudders, but on flat rocks aired down. Whhhooooohhhoooo they're great..
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a set of BFG AT's for awhile on the XJ. They are a great tire onroad...very quiet, very good manners. Offroad, also very good...until you get into even a moderate amount of mud. Then they cake up, turn into slicks and become pretty worthless. I currently have a set of BFG MT's on it. Onroad, a little noisier than the AT's, but still very good manners. Offroad, I love them. Aired down they stick to rocks like glue. I've been in a few muddy situations where they have let me down...but only because I ventured into something that I needed a set of Swampers to get through (anyone who has wheeled with me will tell you....I'm nuts).

If you are on the road most of the time and only doing light trail riding, you'll be very happy with BFG AT's.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm needing some tires soon, My Brother has BFG mud terrains on his Scout and loves them, but he says they wear pretty quickly on the street and Says that I should buy the BFG AT's.
I mostly drive on the street and occisionaly go on some trails and I get snow in the winter, so are the BFG AT's good in snow or is there another tire that's good for what I do?
Thanks

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BFG AT's are great in snow. This I know from personal experience.

One thing about snow driving, narrower is better. When my 12.5" wide TrXus MT's need replaced, I will go to 10.5" wide again. The TrXus are good in slick conditions but Im not real happy with them in snow deeper than 6" or so.

And I will probably go back to the BFG AT's as well.

ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
I'm needing some tires soon, My Brother has BFG mud terrains on his Scout and loves them, but he says they wear pretty quickly on the street and Says that I should buy the BFG AT's.
I mostly drive on the street and occisionaly go on some trails and I get snow in the winter, so are the BFG AT's good in snow or is there another tire that's good for what I do?
Thanks

The BFGs are known for their mileage....often times approaching 50,000 miles on an set when properly inflated and the vehicle is within alignment specs. They use a harder rubber that doesn't wear as quickly.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
Thanks

I'm on my second set of MTkm's...only reason is I went from 33" to 35"...and both sets have been great on the road mileage wise. I haven't really had any probs in snow or rain either, but from your description of needs, the ATko's are prolly the best bet. I ran them previously and are a really good tire, just weren't what I wanted when I started hitting the trail more.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I have Bridgestone Dueler AT's (laugh)32 X 10.5 and I was thinking of keeping the same size tire. Judging from past posts 10.5 seem to be fine for driving in snow.
Later I may jump up to 33's but I'd like keep gas mileage.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dueler ats are good tires...

whatwasithinkin wide tires are made to float yes but what if you have a heavier vehicle than a wrangler?

im just curious if that would be your problem with a wide tire in snow?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: