Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TJ with a slavage title

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: TJ with a slavage title Reply with quote

I am looking at purchasing a used TJ. I found a good price on one, however it does have a salvaged title. I was wondering how much this might lower the actual value of the veh and how much this should pull off of the NADA price. The gentleman selling it said that he drove it to MI from CO and he had no problems with it at all. He said it was Tboned in the in the dirver side but it is fully resotred with a rebuilt from salvage title. Any information that you may have would be appreicated. Right now the price is about 1000 below the NADA value that doesn't sound like enough to me. I need a daily driver but it is something I plan to build up so i want a good deal.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very very careful about purchasing salvage title vehicles. A vehicle ussually only gets a salvage title if its been totaled in an accident. The junkyard gets it and it becomes a "prodject" for them if they have enough parts to make it look okay again.

It may look fine but what about the frame? If it is twisted even a small amount it can cause all sorts of handeling issues. Seeing that most Jeeps are twitchy on asphault at highway speeds anyway, it could lead to dangerous handeling situation with an even slightly twisted frame. If the frame has any straightened wrinkles in it, which can happen from front or rear impacts, those spots become very weak.

As for the price? Tough call without seeing it.......salvage title tells me its not worth more than 1/2 of what the NADA value. Remember that this "gentleman" wants to sell you this vehicle for his own profit, so he is probably gonna tell you whatever it takes to sell you that TJ.

Buyer Beware!

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 99 is a reconstructed vehicle. It's one of the reasons why I don't mind bouncing it off rocks and getting custom pinstripping from the trees and branches.

I've heard anywhere from 30%-50% off the value of a similar clean-title vehicle. One-thousand below a clean title is too much. I think I paid too much also though...but had just had my Jeep totalled and needed something. It was priced just right with the insurance settlement I received.
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TJ with a slavage title Reply with quote

bgreiwe wrote:
I need a daily driver but it is something I plan to build up so i want a good deal.

This sounds like you have a true Jeeper's heart. Wanting something for nothing! Beautiful! If you are haveing problems w/ the price and you are not in a hurry to buy, I would recommend waiting. Finding the right Jeep is like finding the right mate. There are plenty of fish in the sea and the right deal is out there. If you are desperate, buy it. If you don't like it, lie like about how much fun it is and replace it when nobody is looking. The best part about the second scenerio is the Jeep can't sue you for alimony. you could even take somebody else's for a spin just to see if it performs better, w/o any consequences! How cool is that!? Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: