Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very close. Edit: (I'm a Jeep owner) edit: pics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcold

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I know that this Jeep has Trac Loc? Is there a button? Anything other than the dealers sticker that reads Track Loc? Does anyone here have Trac Loc with a 3.73?
ZONA

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the dealer if it has Trac. Doesn't really matter though, in the offroad world anyway. Open difs are just about as good as limited slip. Mine had limited slip from dealer and all I did was just spin the tire that wasn't touching the ground. That meant, at certain times, only one tire was pulling me along. YUK!

The only time that limited slip is good is on snowy roads where it's slippery.
outcold

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand that. I thought that (Trac Loc) is there, so if you go rock climbing and one tire is on a rock and the other is hanging you will still move. ????? If what you're saying is true then what is the point of (Trac Loc)?
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Limited Slip (LSD) is better than being open however it is not as good as a locker. There is still wheel spin with a LSD but it limits wheel spin based on the torque coming into the differential.

IIRC, HowStuffWorks.com has a good explanation of differentials and traction devices.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, different types of limited slips out there as well. Trac loc uses clutch packs which tend to slip easier in more traditional offroading. I have a Detroit True trac (I don't know how the hell to spell it Mr. Green ) in my D44 and it's a gear driven limited slip. Much more reliable and less prone to slipping than the trac loc. Still not a locker, but I didn't want a fulltime locker in the rear of my daily driver (selectable yes, but not in the budget). A trick with the tracloc is to engage the ebrake a click or two to trick it into engaging. Works, but it ain't great on the ebrake after awhiles.
ZONA

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
Still not a locker, but I didn't want a fulltime locker in the rear of my daily driver (selectable yes, but not in the budget).

I thought the same thing and I too had a budget. I was not so enthused about getting a full time locker in the rear but I wanted to be locked so I went with the very inexpensive Lockrite.

I've since changed my mind. After 2 weeks with it on, I almost don't even know it's on there when cruzing around on the street. When you are going very slow and tight corners you hear some clicking but that's if it's very quite around you. If you have the radio on or there is traffic, you won't even hear it. The great thing is, obviously, that on the trail, everything is much easier with being locked. Now that I've had the chance to use a full time locker, I wouldnt go back and put an ARB or OX even if I had the money. I would use it on the front. The full time locker has NO affect on street steering at all. My jeep feels and drives the same as it did with no locker in rear. Seriously. I was concerned about that but I never felt even the slightest difference.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lockers eat up your tires tho...thats pretty much the only downfall

eating the tires i mean that when turning the inside wheel spins the same as the outside where as an open diff or a limited slip will allow the inside wheel to spin faster...but a locker wont eat your tires like they going outta style you will just notice that they wear faster and need to be roated more

and a locker is only necessary if you wheel constantly

ever consider a selectable locker?
ZONA

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
lockers eat up your tires tho...thats pretty much the only downfall

eating the tires i mean that when turning the inside wheel spins the same as the outside where as an open diff or a limited slip will allow the inside wheel to spin faster...but a locker wont eat your tires like they going outta style you will just notice that they wear faster and need to be roated more

and a locker is only necessary if you wheel constantly

ever consider a selectable locker?

a locker surely eats at the fronts faster but the rears is not so bad. Having power to both rears while going straight or semi straight hardly wears any extra tread at all. If going around corners, the locker clicks and goes to open to allow extra tire spin, just as if you were completely open so it really isn't that bad on the tires with a rear locker. Fronts, yes, they will wear alot faster.

A locker is necessary even when you don't wheel constantly. It all depends on what you wheel. Even if you only went out a few times, but you were doing difficult climbs, it's nice to be locked. When you are NOT locked, alot of the times you have to have extra speed going into climb or you're spinning your tires trying to gain traction. That's where you can really get into axle trouble. So that's a yes and no. If you hardly wheel and don't do difficult climbs, no you don't need a locker.

Yes - I wanted a selectable locker at first, but with alot more cost and normally alot more headache and repairs, thought I would try this route first and see, since it was so much less expensive. I thought I would try this out and go to a selectable locker when I saved more money. But that was when I thought driving with a rear locker would be terrible and all the stories I read about the louder then loud clanking and clicking..........it's all way over hyped. As I said, I honestly only notice it a few times and that's when I slow down to turn, when there is no traffic, and my radio isn't on. For the price, I'll take the lockrights and put the extra $1000 in my pocket that I would have spent on the ARB.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a selectable locker up front? that way it wouldnt eat the tires up daily driving

what about limited slip up front also?
ZONA

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
what about a selectable locker up front? that way it wouldnt eat the tires up daily driving

what about limited slip up front also?

If you wanted to really beef up your rig then sure, selctable locker up front would be a nice addition to a rear locker. No doubt about it.

LS up front is a little better then open but nothing big. Rear lockers do most of the work anyway so if you're on a budget, leave the front alone as far as locker and differential.
outcold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchase a Wrangler. Not the one I posted pics of but one from a different dealer. I purchased a 2005 Wrangler X with Echo wheel package, Deep tinted hard top, AC and it's dark blue. But no 3.73 rear end. Oh well. I'm very happy with my choice. I love it and does this mean I'm a Jeeper now? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pics coming soon.
TJgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like my Jeep kinda. enjoy your new Jeep!!

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Mr. Green
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeeze......finally Mr. Green

Congrats Mr. Green

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
outcold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
Geeeze......finally Mr. Green

Congrats Mr. Green

I take my time making large purchases. You should be happy. NO CHROME FOOSH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: