Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second Opinion?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamgan

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Second Opinion? Reply with quote

About 3 weeks ago, I took my TJ98 Sahara to a Jeep mechanic, after having her for less then a week since I bought it from a used car dealer.
She had 106k and was imported from the states ( I live in Puerto Rico)
She was originaly from VA then for the last 4 years I think was leased in NY from all the paperwork I found stuffed in the glove compartment.

Any how got my 98 Sahara back from getting a tune up ( air filter, oil change and filter $45.00) and both diferentials cleaned and greased ( $70. each)

Im going to take it again to the only jeep dealer around for another diagnostic ( $65) before I invest any money on anything just to make sure I have a second opinion, since I didnt feel like the first one was done very well ( maybe it had to do something with the fact that the mechanic kept refering to another jeep every time I asked about mine, he seemed to keep getting them mixed up, wouldnt be bad if it was another wrangler but he was mixing mine with a liberty)

1) My air conditioner will get nice and cold, but after a few minutes, it keeps blowing but the air no longer is cold, then a while later it becomes cold again.

He said it might be the valve ( $200 to replace) or the compressor ( $500 to replace)

Friend said I can skip the valve and connect strait to the compressor but it will spend more gas that way????

Q.1 If it is the valve, and I bypass it, will it cause any harm to my jeep? And could this also just be it needs freon ( not sure what the gas is called)

2) My lighter doesnt work ( nor the shift indicator light )

He says it might be the ligher housing needs to be replaced and its shorting out the fuse

Q.2 Is it expensive to get my electrical system checked out? on my Hyndia, it was cheap because all the wiring was easy to access. is this so on a Jeep? Or there is a lot more work involved to get behind the dash?

3) Oil pressure gauge bounces back and forth and my shift indicator light doesnt turn on

Mechanic said the contacts might be dirty and he can take the panel out and clean out all the pins and contacts
( $70) He also said if I tap the left side of my dash when this happens, that it temperarly fixes it ( dear God..)

Q.3 Is this a common problem?

4) If I put my stick in neutral when slowing down instead of downshifting ( cause I still cant drive standard very well yet) It becomes a little hard to put back in a gear ( If I turn off the jeep and restart it, its back to normal)

He says it might be the clutch pump ( I think thats what he said ) $200

Q.4 Do I have to downshift every time I'm slowing down for a light? or can I just drop it into neutral and use my brakes? Or will I ruin something like that?

5) water pools in the front two floors, just under the dash, its not the airconditioner, cause when its on, it drips lots of water so I hope that means its not clogged

I printed out a bunch of suggestions that was given to me on what the cause might be.
It was given to me on another Jeep Forum, about the cowl housing, the hose , ect ect, but he said he never had time to check it out.
Later after I was leaving and I asked one of his assistents about it,
I find out what the problem was, I had given him the print out in english, and he couldnt read it. Wish he would have told me, I would have translated it.

Theres a few other small things, but these are the most important I think. Just wanted a second opinion ( well as much as possible since you guys cant see the jeep)
BlueJ

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Opinion? Reply with quote

Gamgan wrote:

Q.4 Do I have to downshift every time I'm slowing down for a light? or can I just drop it into neutral and use my brakes? Or will I ruin something like that?

I'm not a mechanical type, so I won't attempt to answer questions about the first three questions.

But for question 4, that's based your driving style. If you just go into neutral and use the brakes, you are not stressing the engine, but will give the brakes a workout. If you downshift, you are saving your brakes a tiny bit but transferring some of that wear to the drivetrain. I don't think that one is better that the other. Personally, from highway speed, I'll slow by braking first, then downshifting from 5th to 3rd, then brake to a stop. It doesn't seem worth downshifting through all the gears.

Quote:

5) water pools in the front two floors, just under the dash, its not the airconditioner, cause when its on, it drips lots of water so I hope that means its not clogged

Does the water pool in the rain or when there's no rain? I'd suggest lifting up the hook and seeing if there's a bunch of debris in the channel near the firewall. If that gets clogged, rainwater can drain into the cabin instead through the drains. The AC drips from the bottom, front part of the engine, I doubt that would get into the floor.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the AC goes, it could be the valve or the compressor and yeah the only correct fix is replaceing expensive parts. It also could be a vacuum hose has popped off under the dash and you can fix for free by reattaching it. The refridgerant in the system should be removed by an experienced mech using a system reclaim machine. Just cutting the lines or un screwing them releases the refridgerant and thats the stuff that kills our ozone layer. This equipment is expensive and causes the part replacement to get expensive. If its cooling even intermitently then the refrigerant is still there, If the system is leaking the compressor would have pushed it out within moments of the leak.

Most likely the Jeep was left out with out a top on by the previous owners. Over time this will cause issues to electrical parts. Your lighter may be a product of this. Most parts store sell cheapo replcement lighters.

All the other issues that you have with dash lights, indecators etc. are all Jeep issues. The gauges suck at best especially on the vehicles with a few or more years on them. And YES, tapping/slapping the side of the dash is a tryed and true temporary method of getting that stuff to wake up! Over time this is another Jeep related issue expeienced by many other Jeep owners. It is dirty connectors under the dash like the mech told you.

I use the gears to shift down along with the brakes. I always have. My personal beleif is dropping any vehicle into neutral for stopping is a very bad habit to have. Should a emergency situation arise where some power is needed to get you out of harms way, will you be able to respond fast enough without panicing to avoid the accident?

As far as the clutch goes. If the resivoiuor or slave are leaking fluid to the point that its causing shift problems, then you should be able to see oil surounding them and obviously be adding oil to the reserve often. If it stays full and your not adding fluid, then its most likely the clutch itself. It can be worn out and cause the same issue. You said it was a rental previously.....well the get abused the worst and clutches wear out anyway from normal use. Drivers abusing the clutch speeds up the process a bunch.

Water on the floor is another common problem with earlier TJ's. Just like BlueJ said, its probably a clogged drain tube....it happens.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: