Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2000 XJ oil pressure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: 2000 XJ oil pressure Reply with quote

Hey all. My 2000 Cherokee has an oil pressure issue. I start it, and the gauge read 40-ish psi. I can drive it for about 15- 20 minutes, and the gauge will drop to 20- ish psi. When I touch the accellerator again, it goes back up and will remain there until I let off. I replaced the sending unit, but that didnt solve the problem.

So, what's the safe operating range for this engine's oil pressure? Is this normal, or how can I fix it?

Thanks
gates21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is a very common problem with jeeps. The oil pressure sending unit, which is located just above the oil filter and has a wire harness with 1 wire attached to it, go bad. You need a special socket that they sell at most car parts stores to remove it (I got mine at Autozone for 6 bucks). Since you have the oil pressure gauge, the part is 28-40 dollars im pretty sure.
Just swap out sending units and you will get the correct reading for your car, which is usually right in the middle (im so technical, I know).
Good Luck

Aaron
gates21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that you did replace the sending unit...well im out of ideas Neutral
Aaron
majikxms

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah same thing, I changed mine and it still did it. That was 2 XJ's ago. This one is a 98 and same thing happens. I'm chalking it up to a default in the system, I got 130k on it with no problems.
Foxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way I can put a mechanical gauge in my dash, to replace the electrical one?

Also, my 'check engine' light keeps coming on. I put an OBD II scanner on it and the rear O2 sensor is causing it to turn on. Is there anything common that sets off the sensor?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil pressure is normal. Minimum pressure (at idle) is 13psi and maximum pressure (under acceleration) is 75psi. As long as it stays in that range it's happy. You could install a mechanical sensor to replace the one on the dash, but it will give you similar readings.

As far as the O2 sensor, how many miles are on the Jeep? It could be as simple as replacing it.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Foxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jeep has 84, almost 85,000 miles on it. Strangely enough though, I was driving into town on Saturday and the light went out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: