Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about 87 Cherokee 4x4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Question about 87 Cherokee 4x4 Reply with quote

Ok I work at a campground and bought the safety forces 1897 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (all stock). I had to replace the master cylinder and brake booster. Now about Stearring. They said that the stearring has always been loose and there is alot of play in the sterring wheel. The guy that replaced the brake booster said it definately need a front end alignment. I plan on getting the alignment done with christmas money.

Q. Is there anything else that will tighten up the stearring?

Q. I think the shocks need replaced. When I hit a pot hole on dirt roads it wants to bounce sideways. They are really stiff and don't plan on going off road and was thinking of getting some softer shocks. Would replacing the shocks fix the bouncing sideways?

Q. What else should be checked?

Q. There is a switch on the dash with the tranny symbol on it. It says power on the bottom and nothing on the top. What does it do? I didn't get an owners manual with the Jeep so I have no clue.

There is hardly any rust since it was undercoated and stored inside.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Question about 1987 Jeep Cherokee Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that it was wrecked when I bought it. Minor front end damge. I figured that is why it needs aligned.
MachineMan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the steering being loose. Check the the tierod ends, ball joints and wheel hub bearings. These could make it feel loose if worn. Bad alignment could also make it wander a bit.

If the shocks are worn replace them. Then see if it still bounces sideways. But this could also happen with the noted steering issues. Soak the rear upper shock bolts with some liquid wrench or something similar. Those bolts are notorious for break off.

The transmission switch is "power" and "comfort" settings. This switch was eliminated as of the '91+ cherokee's and is hard wired to the "power" setting. Just set it to power and forget about it. There's not much of a difference. Or play with it and see if you like one setting better than the other.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Questions on 87 Jeep Cherokee Reply with quote

Thanks. I took the front passenger tire off to put the center wheel cap on. I found the sway bar link broke. I didn't know what it was so I took a picture of it with my digital and then took that to the parts store. Even though I'm female I like to do as much stuff my self as I can with the jeep. $20 for a new one. A friend at work is going to check it and check out what tools I need. He said that might be why I was swaying a bit. My other vehicle is a PT Cruiser 2002. I hate that car. I have two more years to pay on it then it is getting traded in on a new cherokee.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: cherokee Reply with quote

Sadly there is no "new" Cherokees anymore, just Grands. New to you works though.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: cherokee Reply with quote

Well I ended up taking it in to get the link replaced. I couldn't get the bolts to break loose. It was the link that was causing the wandering problem. It still needs a front end alignment but we are going to take it to Sears cause they can do it for around $70.
dizzymac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the "Power" switch does is change the shift points. As for your front end, glad to hear it you got it fixed. Next time you are under it take a look at the "frame" where the steering box is bolted on, many of the frames have a prob. with cracking.
Try an get yourself an FSM, way better than Chiltons etc.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: other problems found Reply with quote

Well when they test drove it the brakes went out. They found the front brake lines split, needs a left caliper, rear wheel cylinders, drums, shoes, and one axel line. Basically I didn't have any rear brakes. That cost $893. Then when I came home the engine became really boggy. When I got in the driveway I found the front rotors cherry red. Had dad tow it back to them and told them what happened. They said it was the brake booster that I had replaced. They said that it was defective but I didn't notice it since my rear brakes weren't working. Thats BULLCRAP. So it was covered by warranty and they are putting it on and hopefully the rotors aren't warped. If they are we are bringing it home and my son who is a mechanic will replace them when he gets home for the holidays. I'm hoping that they call and said that it was thier part that caused this and then they will have to pay for it.
Hired Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Cherokee sounds like it's very similar to ours. The front brake lines were very swollen about to burst. One of the rear wheel cylinders is damp under the rubber. That stuff is all pretty cheap so far. When we changed the front hoses we flushed out the system. It took a 32 ounce bottle of fluid to get all the brown out of just the front end. I'm sure when we change the rear cylinders another bottle will be spoken for.

What I have found out so far on ours is the steering box itself is completely shot. The steering shaft the pitman arm is in on flops back and forth 1/4 of and inch. Most of the ties rods are loose and the track bar has play in it. Next payday is pretty much spoken for for the next few paydays. We are going to convert it to power steering.

The wiper arms are all nice and tight now thanks to you and a $5 bushing kit.

One thing at a time. I just wish I could find an online shop manual.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: no problem Reply with quote

Well my stepson works for Carmax and was home for Christmas. He found the idler arm pully was about to fall off and found 5 bolts loose. We cracked the water outlet when he tightened the bolts so we replaced that, thermostat, and heater hose. Heat is better but my next step is checking the heater core.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: