Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overheating with ARB Bumper??? HELP ME PLEASE!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cobra_charlie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Overheating with ARB Bumper??? HELP ME PLEASE!! Reply with quote

I have installed a ARB bumper on my 1999 JGC. I have noticed that it is a labored struggle to keep it cool, mostly when the engine is under a load. However, it has never overheated to boiling. I have cleaned the cooling system, ie made sure the radiator was clean of junk. I installed a new themostat about 2-3 months ago. I also did a complete coolant flush at the time. The problem didn't occur until after the bumper install. I did more digging, and I found that ARB suggests a upgrade to a hydraulic cooling system. Any ideas? Thanks, Charlie
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that ARB's make you overheat.. I dont know how to combat it.. Maybe drillin some 1" holes in the lower section of the bumper to let air pass thru would help... I dont know..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch to electric fans maybe!
160° Thermostat!
Might help.
1976 Trans Am
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/531601
forexfour

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Fan Clutch Reply with quote

I would check your fan clutch. I did not realize mine was bad til I started towing. I thought all these other things to but then I was told to check the fan when at operating temp, rev the engine up and if the fan speed does not increase and blow more air the fan clutch is bad and a pain to change. Once I changed it My temp goes no higher than 215 Degree's towing up hill and first gear revin high.

or just go electric fan.

I doubt it is the bumper, I run a trail ready with winch and tow loaded down.
unimog69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From NAGCA.com Grand News section.

Grand Cherokee WJ Bull Bar

Due to insufficient engine cooling on 1999-2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ models built in North America, ARB cannot recommend their Bull Bar (3450090) for this application. The problem lies within the early model’s cooling system, which utilizes a conventional fan and fan clutch. With this configuration, the early WJ is extremely sensitive to changes in vehicle rake, ride height and air flow, which have proven to cause a significant increase in engine operating temperatures.

Chrysler rectified this problem with the introduction of an upgraded cooling system on the 2001 and later Grand Cherokee models. The new system utilizes a hydraulic fan system that runs off of the power steering pump. ARB is pleased to announce that there have been no cooling problems reported with this combination.
'96 Limited, NV249, 5.2, K&N FIPK, Red Top, Dana30 open, Dana44AL TrackLoc, Custom 3.5" RE lift, Rancho RSX shocks, 32" BFG A/T, Tomken rear bumper, custom front bumper w/ receiver, KOR Sliderz and Xmember/ T. Case skid.
Venomized

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the ARB? I had heard that ARB changed the construction to be more cooling friendly for the 99-00 WJ.

2001 WJ, not much stuff

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE, fun toy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: