Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No-slip v. Detroit Softlocker up front...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: No-slip v. Detroit Softlocker up front... Reply with quote

K, I had a No-slip in my D30. Technically it's still there, but it's best days have past it. I know to run a Detroit up front in a TJ (mine's a '00, 4.56's, LP D30) I should run the lockout kit. If I hadn't really f'd things up as a kid, I'd prolly have enough money in life to do the things that I should, but I digress. Anyways, I'm tired of getting jerked to the center of the road (a side effect of whatever remenants of the No-slip that are left) and need a fix. ARB is ideal. Open, push of the button locked. I'd have to convert my AC to onboard air or buy the ARB dealio to make this work. ARB is more expensive to begin with and then ya throw the need for the compressor in...cha-ching...oh yah, plus install. I'm not lunch boxing it again. I knew that eventually the 35's would eat it and they did. 'Nuff said there. Which leads me to pondering the possiblilites of a Detroit.

So, the question is, has anyone ran a lunchbox style upfront and then converted to some sort of fulltime diff replacement locker? Looking to see if there'll be any sort of major issues running this setup until the fundage becomes available to go ahead and throw a l/o kit in. I've read people say before that 'it's invisible in 2WD' and that's how my No-slip was. Just looking for any sort of experience y'all mighta had with this before I sink the cash into it. And yes, I know that an ARB and compressor is cheaper in the long run than a Detroit and a l/o kit, but it's more cash up front for the ARB setup now, and that's something that isn't flowing out of my tailside at the moment Wink .
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i can say is that if you dislike the effects of being yanked around now...you'll HATE the detroit then. my detroit in the rear axle throws me around enough that i'm saving for an arb back there! don't discount ox just yet either - they still are up and running...just that the tooling was transferred or something. parts are still readily available and it works very well.
chris
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, the only reason it's yanking now is because it took a shit on me Confused . When it was okay, it wasn't the slightest bit noticeable up front in 2wd. Don't forget the front axle isn't gonna have the same mannerisms as the rear when locked on the road. I remember PAJeeper telling me he hated the Detroit in the rear too. What's the deal with OX, I thought they went the way of the dinosaur?
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had heard that even though not "driven" in 2wd...you can still feel the pulsing of the locker up front when driving. oh, and i'll have to talk to ian on my site to get the full details on ox - he's running them at both ends in his clayton tj Smile
chris
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how much I can feel the front detroit when driving normally because the rear end is such an eye opener. Wink

However, you and everybody nearby will know you have a detroit in the front when you try to pull into the mall parking space. It bangs, clunks and squeels the tires. Nothing insurmountable, but that's what I've noticed with mine. Wink
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, selectable it is. Chris, keep me posted on the OX stuff, but I'm gonna have to try and get something done soon. Just waiting on a guy at work that used to have a shop to let me know if he can line up a place to do the work for me (damn divorces Confused ).
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not start the ARB one axle at a time? Just an idea. I like my ARB's...but yea, they are pricey alright.

I know someone who has Ox lockers in his XJ and likes them. On L4J, look for erslll. He's got a pretty killer XJ IMO. His CJ has Detroits I think...but he's a good guy, and very knowledgable about them both.

I too thought they had gone out of business...but heard recently they had not.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: