Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

31's on a stock XJ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: 31's on a stock XJ? Reply with quote

Hey guys. A guy in my class at school today offered to sell me a set of BFG Mud Terrains for 100 bucks. Problem is, they're 31x 10.5x 15. On my factory rims, how much fender trimming will be required to clear these things, if it will clear them at all? I've pretty much decided the stock flares have to go, and I'm torn on whether or not TJ flares would rub. Opinions?

Thanks
majikxms

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will fit stock, but if you want to do any kind of off-road you will have to lose the fenders and trim some...not sure how much...off of wheel well. On stock rims they will rub the LCA's and maybe the fender (that's another reason why you have to trim). The rub on the LCA's can be solved by adding washers on the steering stops (trial and error on how many you need).

I have 30x9.5's on stock rims and I do not rub on the fender's, however, they just fit when they are fully stuffed into the wheel wells. You'll be adding 1/2 all the way around on each side of the wheel. I added two washers per side on the steering stops and do not rub on the LCA's. (disclaimer: this is illegal in Virginia, check your state regs before you do it).
Foxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, fender trimming doesnt bother me. My concern was that the tire/ lift guide said a 30x9.50 tire was okay for the street only, and a 2.5 inch lift was needed for a 31x10.50.

Thanks
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stated it at the top of that thread:
I wrote:
Keep in mind that these are "general rules of thumb" for fitting tires to a given amount of lift on XJ's. Other factors, such as wheel backspacing, fender trimming, etc need to be considered as well.

To put 31's on the stock rims, you may not need to trim the fenders...the tires might just clear. You most likely will need to add some bumpstop to keep them off the wheel wells though. Washers in the steering stops wil keep them of the LCA's.

As stated above, check your local regs and find out what is legal and not legal where you are.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Foxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have yet another question. I understand LCA is lower control arm, but I cant figure out where I would need to put washers to keep the tires out of them.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the lower front of the steering knuckle, there is what's called a steering stop...it's basically a bolt which prevents the wheels from turnng to far inward. You can put washers behind those bolt to extend them out a little. It will only reduce the turning radius by an inch or two...but that can make the differece of whether you rub the tires on the LCA's or not.

The problem is a lot of states have laws (usually inspection laws) preventing you from reducing the factory turning radius of vehicle...even if it's an insignificant amount.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quadna71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

click this link to see a good picture of what he was talking about - compliments of stu Smile

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/stop/ss-1.jpg
Foxx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks guys. I should be getting the tires this weekend or Monday, then I hope to have them mounted by Wednesday.

Now I'm looking at basic bolt- ons to add a bit of power to offset the sluggishness of not re-gearing. I'm seriously considering an exhaust and a bored out throttle body, but I dont see what the big deal is between a 60mm and 62mm, andwhether or not adding a spacer would really help all that much.

For an exhaust, after looking at a lot of them, I figure I'll make my own. I have tons of 2 1/2 inch electrical EMT, and I'm sure the school has a tubing bender somewhere that I can get ahold of for an afternoon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: