Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery drain, brain drain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Battery drain, brain drain Reply with quote

Okay guys my wifes XJ has a problem Sad You let is sit over nite and it won't start??? Quick jump and it starts right up! Drive any where you want even right down the street, turn it off and it will start right up! Let it sit over nite and it won't start. Now sometimes it will?? I changed the battery thinking a cell was going dead, no problems then BAM hello remember me I'm back, WTF Shocked Any Ideas?? I've checked, radio, lights on, glove box, etc. Someone suggested starter?? Someone thought maybe the alternator not giving a good charge that the battery needs or maybe to much of one?? But the dummy gauge stays around 12-14? HELP!!
quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first - i'd disregard the reading of your dash guage. stick the leads from a meter into the alternators plug and see what you're getting. should be around 14.6v

second - it sounds more like a cable and/or connection issue than anything else. i've had pretty similar problems with vehicles in the past (our '94 xj was one of them) and it turned out to be the connections on the cables. i replaced them all - positive/negative/starter cables were all swapped out and the problem was gone. with corroded cables...over time not just the connection at the battery terminal will be corroded. the corrosion will grow into the cable itself but may not be evident with the insulation on the cable masking it. that all kills the juice.

just my experiences...good luck vic and here's to a quick recovery!
chris
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain, brain drain Reply with quote

Vic's89XJ wrote:
Okay guys my wifes XJ has a problem Sad You let is sit over nite and it won't start??? Quick jump and it starts right up! Drive any where you want even right down the street, turn it off and it will start right up! Let it sit over nite and it won't start. Now sometimes it will?? I changed the battery thinking a cell was going dead, no problems then BAM hello remember me I'm back, WTF Shocked Any Ideas?? I've checked, radio, lights on, glove box, etc. Someone suggested starter?? Someone thought maybe the alternator not giving a good charge that the battery needs or maybe to much of one?? But the dummy gauge stays around 12-14? HELP!!

I know that you said that you checked the radio but do you have any kind of accesories hooked into the fuse panel? My YJ had the EXACT same problem that you are describing and turns out it was an amp and subwoofer that was draining the battery after a few hours. It wouldn't neccesarily need to be an amp/speaker combination- just anything that is hooked ot your battery. I doubt it is the alternator- a bad alternator should not affect the jeep when it is parked and turned off- that sounds like something draining the battery.

Possible culprits:
Sub/Amp
auxillary lights left on
power inverter
a short in some wiring under the hood
a hot wire powering any accesory [as opposed to something wired to the ignition like it should be- I learned this the hard way.]

Good luck finding it.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do what Chris said...put a meter in the alternator and see what the output is. I had this problem on the Camaro a few years back...it would eat batteries. Turned out the alternator was only putting out 12 volts or so. I replaced it and had the same problem...tested again and the rebuilt alternator was putting out less then the one it replaced. I picked up a new (not rebuilt) high output unit and the problem went away.

It's more likely, however, that there's a short or a draw on the battery someplace. If you don't feel like tracing through miles of wire trying to find a short, here's a quick solution:

About $23 from Jegs....$20 without the faceplate.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!! No goodies, subs, amps, cb, etc. The driving lights are even hooked up in the factory wiring, just like the factory. So no extra goodies wired up but I took the new battery back and traded it in on a yellow top Optima battery. Cool The cables looked rough, especially the negative, so I got a new 2 gauge + and a 4 gauge - cable. So I hope it works. Wink She just happy about her new battery. I got a yellow top and cables for zilla too Wink Also got brand spankin new altenator for zilla Mr. Green Can you say Shoe Creek Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: