Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A/C Compressor whining noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
southbound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: A/C Compressor whining noise Reply with quote

My 95 Cherokee has a whining noise when the engine is running, but the A/C is OFF. Everything works and if I turn the A/C on, the noise changes and is much quieter.

The dealer says the A/C compressor needs to be replaced at enormous cost.

Someone said possibly a clutch in the compressor is the problem.

Does anyone know of / had this problem before, and is there an alternative to replace the compressor, which appears to be working fine?

Thanks Smile
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the compressor clutch to me. When the engine is running, the belt drives the pulley on the compressor. There's a clutch that engages the compresor to the pulley when you turn the A/C on. It's not difficult to change it yourself if you have a decent set of hand tools.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chero90

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: compressor clutch Reply with quote

I also do have a problem with the cluch, it doesn't work, (lucky me its still sillent) i can't get my AC on. I've messured the wire getting to the cluch but i can't seem to get my 12V and al the fuses seem to be ok. Uptoo now I've (not yet) risked to go with the wire directly to my battery because there is a second wire comming from the boddy of the clutch comming together, and i dont want to blow up my battery. Could annyone help me getting an electrical wiringdiagram or a name of an good maintenance book fot the cherokee 4.0 limited 90 and how to get it because here in belgium its hard to find

Thanks
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chero90,
on our '87 we couldn't get the clutch to engage either. turned out that there was power available at that connecter about 12" back from the compressor...but it was corroded inside and wouldn't get the juice through to the other side. i disconnected that connect, touched the compressor side of it to my battery to make sure the clutch still worked, and then gave the connector a good cleaning. after that it worked like a champ. i spent $38 on the recharge/conversion kit from advanced and it drops ice cubes now! good luck!
chris
chero90

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Chris,
I unplugged the connector and made a direct contact to the batt by using a fuse (to make sure) an the clutch engaged, and after running a while the pressure line got warm and the other cold, so the compressor works. (And I couldn't see bubbles so there should be plenty R12 Very Happy ) But the connector doesn't give me the 12V and all fuses are oK, checked them again.
frank
PS an recharge/conversion for anny car in belgium costs about 100$ more
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: