Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Diff Noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatalfunnel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Rear Diff Noise Reply with quote

Hello, new to the board, first post. I just bought a 97 Cherokee Country that has a "roaring" noise at speed, but only under load (gas mashed). When coasting, or on a slight downhill where there is no significant load on the drivetrain, all sounds well. I haven't changed the gear oil yet, but when I do, should I add some Lucas stuff or some other kind of additive, or do I just have problems that will have to be addressed mechanically. Either way, no major big deal, just wondering if anyone else has been here and what you did to fix?

Looks like a great board and a huge asset to have.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Diff Noise Reply with quote

Fatalfunnel wrote:
has a "roaring" noise at speed, but only under load (gas mashed)

So a guy goes to the doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this". The doctor says "Don't do that". rofl

Seriously, my guess would be pinion bearing. Usually, if you hear bearing noise under load it's rear axle. If it's a very low, growling noise it might be diff bearings though...pinion bearings are usually higher in pitch. It's possible that it's a wheel bearing too. Take it to a big empty parking lot someplace and turn the Jeep sharply left and right. That will load the wheel bearings and, if they are the culprits, the noise level will change.

Check the u-joints too. I've heard horrible noises coming from underneath vehicles that turn out to be a bad u-joint.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Lucas. Just put in a good quality gear oil and if it has a Limited Slip make sure to put in the proper amount of additive.

HTH...and welcome. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: