Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sticky brakes ...or what???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy-glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Sticky brakes ...or what??? Reply with quote

My ride is a 2001 JGC, 6 cylinder auto with 52,000 miles. The problem seems to coincide with a recent brake pad and rotor replacement on all 4 wheels. However, I'm not sure what the real issue is. Here's the problem: Sometimes, it feels like the brakes are engaged when I drive away from a stop and when the vehicle is slowing to a stop it feels like they grab again. The problem is not all the time and I have gone for several days with normal brakes and then the next day it's back to the sticking feeling. When starting off it feels like the emergency brake is on and they it is slowly being released as the vehicle accelerates. There is never any wheel lock-up during deceleration. As the vehicle slows to a stop the vehicle exhibits a soft clunk sound prior to coming to a complete stop. As I am waiting at a stop light with my foot on the brake, the vehicle will (gently) lurch forward without full pressure on the pedal; (like a warped rotor will cause). The idle is OK. I was wondering if it was maybe related to the torque converter/transmission. If I hit the gas pedal hard from a stop I get a clunk sound and then and the vehicle jumps forward; if I hit the gas slowly it just picks up speed slowly with no clunk. Either way, the problem is only starting out or just prior to coming to a full stop. I have taken the front pads off, inspected them and put them back on with no change in results. Is it brakes or something else?

Thanks for any suggestions.....
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you might have a caliper thats locking up.. Problem is ..Its hard to tell which one it is till it goes bad.. The easiest way would be to drive it around and then check to see which brake is the hottest.. that one is probobly locking up..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
easy-glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: I think I have to agree will your assessment... Reply with quote

I was going to check the brakes when I got home today by jacking up the front to see which wheel was the most difficult to spin, but when I reached home it wasn't sticking anymore. The next time it does it I will do the wheel test. Based on what you said, the piston in one of the calipers must have picked up something when it was pushed back during the brake job.

Thanks for your reply; I'll keep you posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: