Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stainless rocker / door trim?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzojoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Stainless rocker / door trim? Reply with quote

I want to add a set of stainless lower door / rocker / fender trim to my 88 Xj, but I can't seem to find a place on the web that has any that aren't diamond plate or chrome plated plastic.
One or two places list sets, but don't provide any pictures or descriptions. They just have a listing and a price.
I'm looking for some fairly tall ones, and I want a set that includes the rear fender pieces also.
I'm not going to go hard core 4 wheeling with the Jeep, I just want to cover up the rockers and lower doors after I repair the rust.
Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless rocker / door trim? Reply with quote

Do what I did. Trace out a pattern on the frame to a piece of cookie sheet or wax paper, transfer it to posterboard, go buy enough stock of the metal you prefer, and cut it to your specs. If you don't have the cutting torch skill, take your pattern to a local metal fab shop and have them cut it out for you. They can also warp the metal to match bends and angles in the frame, giving it a more "factory" look, as well as drill holes in the metal to allow for anything from screws to rivits, depending on how you want to attach it to the frame and body.

At least if you do it this way you can be sure of what it looks like and how it's going to fit, rather than taking a chance on buying stuff that might not mate up to what you want.

One more cool bit of info. If you do take it to a metal shop that cuts and presses metal by computer, they'll often save the pattern to memory in case you want more. Then, when you hit the trails and someone comes up begging for info on how to get a set, you can make some up for him and charge whatever you like.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: