Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-case swap?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanLodge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everyone, I jsut did the big swap on my 94 gc. originally had a 249 which was replaced due to a vc failure with another 249 temporarily. But yesterday i switched to the np 242. The t case came from a 93 gc and it was pretty much a direct bolt in plug and play. As far as I know, the only things that you need to watch is for the year of ur t case. 93 I believe seams to be the year they changed it all? anyways. I bought the 242 from the scrap yard and bolted it in. Drive shaft fit perfectly, didn't need to swap input or output luckily. Adjusted the shifter for the t case and everything was up and running. But at first I got a reading from the VIC about servicing the 4wd switch. this is not a problem though as Swamp boys write up says, you just need to unplug a few wires and it is all perfect. It is a night and day difference so far. haven't done any wheeling yet, but man does this swap rock. Thanks to swamp boy, I had to join the forum.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer.. .Spin those tires and take a pic so we can see how your 2WD is working... Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RyanLodge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, with a set of brand new tires mounted... My dad would be really happy with me. But it sounds weird having a jeep with 2wd, so having a pick of that makes people think hard.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 231 is tougher right? i have a 5.2 93' zj with a 249... should i get the 231 if i want the srogest easiest to install? what year vehicle would i get it from? i talked to a guy at a jeep grave yard over here and he said he had some 231's but they were for the 4.0 and the 4.0 tranny and that i would need a 231 off of a dakota with 4x4 with a 318 and same tranny as me... is this so or is every 231 the same? if not does any one know what year and model vehicle i need to get a 231 out of?????
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a 242 from a 97 5.2 GC, a family friend rebuilt it for me. I've noticed that there are overhaul and rebuild kits available from the same manufacturers. They cost different so what is the difference between an overhaul or a rebuild kit for a TC?
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
salomanski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Transfer case 242 compare 231. which is more reliable? Reply with quote

need to know which of the two are stronger? I don't do much wheelin but i would love to have the option of 2 wheel drive. I am also doing a rebuild on the motor. And i need to know how much hp and torque each can hold so i know what to build. thanks
Kornik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixt wrote:
When I had a 242 from a 97 5.2 GC, a family friend rebuilt it for me. I've noticed that there are overhaul and rebuild kits available from the same manufacturers. They cost different so what is the difference between an overhaul or a rebuild kit for a TC?

Most of the time overhaul kit has only soft parts (seals, gaskets, clutch pads) while rebuild kit also contains hardware part (like chain).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: