Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

replacement rotor(AutoZone) for 99 sahara - too deep??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dshort

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: replacement rotor(AutoZone) for 99 sahara - too deep?? Reply with quote

I'm in hopes that maybe someone can enlighten me on composite rotors from AutoZone(AZ). I have a '99 wrangler sahara and had to replace rotors on the front end. The rotors that i picked up from AZ were of composite type and are "supposedly" the correct ones that fit on my jeep. After putting these new rotors on, calipers w/ brake pads, and mounting the wheels to the front, it seems that the rotor maybe too deep by ~1/8". A friend and I attempted to back the jeep up and it felt like there was an e-brake engaged on the front end. We also attempted to move forward. No luck. So, we pull the wheels off and notice that the rotor has a subtle groove (side of the rotor towards the center of the jeep - inside), where the dust shield edge lines up on the rotor. I'm headed back into AZ to measure up my original rotors w/ another set(full cast iron), just to compare depth of the rotor where it butts up against the hub. The composite type and full cast iron are spec'd at the same overall height of 3 1/16". So i'll see if there is a difference.

But, i was wondering if there was a safe work-around for working with the current replacement rotors i have on there now? Can the dust shield be moved or even slightly bent to create a bit more space(~1/8" worth of room)? I know the shield is there for a reason, but wondering if a slight mod to it would allow it to work as intended, as well as, get my jeep moving? Just curious. Any help when you have a chance is greatly appreciated. I need to get this baby rollin' again! Smile Thanks in advance.

-Darren
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can remove the dust shield completely if you want. The only purpose it serves is to help alleviate brake dust on the rims.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dshort

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Thanks for the help Reply with quote

So these shields can be removed without introducing any drivability issues? If so,(i only have the Haynes man.) you have any things to look out for when removing these? Thanks again.

-darren
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the rotors with the correct hat size. Removing the dust shield isn't going to fix the problem. Take your old rotors to Autozone and get the ones with the same hat size. Also, do yourself a favor. Do NOT get the composite rotors. These are two piece and can separate while driving.
dshort

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ehirner. That's what i'll do then. The ones coming in for me to compare to won't be of the composite type. Hopefully, hat size will be about 1/8" more shallow than the the composite ones that i picked up. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the replies!
dshort

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...so i picked up the full cast iron set of rotors that work/fit perfectly. I ended up keeping the dust shields in place and mounting the rotors w/ room between the two. With wheels mounted and tightened down, there is free spinning of the wheel when up in the air(test i should of checked before, prior to attempting to test drive). The 1/8" difference in hat size made the diff. in completing the job or not.

Kragen Part no: Raybestos 76923RGS ($41.99/ea).

Thanks again for all the replies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: