Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got the $$ for new tires or a lift.....which one!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mucker111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Got the $$ for new tires or a lift.....which one! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

just gonna ask a quick question to start....
IS a spacer lift worth it?

I know I can fit 31" meats under my stock '02TJ and with a lift I can fit more....but at what point will I have to regear (with 33's)?

Anyhow, my bro won some cha-ching and offered to help me out.
I don't want to siphon all his $ and am in need of new tires anyhow (BFG or Goodyear MT/Rs) and wasn't sure about voiding my warranty with a lift.

Any thoughts? Things to be wary of?
There's a Jeep shop a bit away that I'll be taking it to....I'm not savvy enough to do it myself!

Thanks
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all depends on what you want

if you want to lift it id go 4 and 33s but then you have to regear and it would void your warranty

if you dont want to void the warranty you can get 31s and save money by buying a smaller tire again its what you want

if you have the time and money i would lift it, 33 bfgs(ats or mts depending on what and how often you wheel) and regear to 4.10
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also go with 32's, that's what I have along with a 2 1/2" OME lift. I had some power loss but my jeep still wheels like a monster.

I eventully will put a body lift on along with some 33's, at which point I'll regear.

Here is a pic

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks good really good, maybe he should go with that....
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really don't have to regear with 33's the loss of power and mpg are not that bad unless you have a 4cyl and then you'll really notice it.

My Morning Jacket
cleaver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find a dealership that would let me keep my warranty as long as they put the lift on. You should look into that......but keep in mind it is a stealership, and it will likely cost you an arm a leg and a left nut to do it through them.

I ended up getting a three inch teraflex with control arms disconnects and shocks for $2200. installed. However, they will pay to fix anything i break on it now. Finger
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleaver wrote:
I ended up getting a three inch teraflex with control arms disconnects and shocks for $2200. installed. However, they will pay to fix anything i break on it now. Finger

Did you get a reach-around too?

Seriously, I hope you got their warranty coverage statement in writing. Otherwise you'll be up shit's creek without a paddle when they deny your claim.

Also, I've said it hundreds of time before.....DC can not void a warranty. They can deny claims if they believe a modification you did to the vehicle could have caused the parts failure. For example. 33" tires and you blew a shaft. No coverage. 33" tires and wipers stop working. You'll be covered.

I always feel you should be prepared to replace any parts you break. It isn't DC's fault you modified the vehicle and ran larger tires or changed the dynamics of the vehicle suspension. If you break something, deal with it.

I guess that why I slapped a LA kit on my Unlimited 8 months after purchasing it.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Erik, there, you paid way to much for that!

My Morning Jacket
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. $2200 for a teraflex 3"? Sounds like you got done without the benefit of vaseline or KY.

The pic above is my wifes TJ. It's an OME lift, with shocks, JKS disconnects, front & rear trackbars and a t-case drop. All for a whopping $1050 installed. Of course I was the installer...but I'm with Erik...if something breaks I'll deal with it. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: