Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viloent Shaking for 5 seconds after 4wheelin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarheel4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Viloent Shaking for 5 seconds after 4wheelin Reply with quote

So the other day i went fourwheelin in my newly lifted jeep cherokee(3inch.) I didnt take any risks and did not get stuck, there also was not much mud, and no damage after. About 3 miles after offroading on real pavement i experienced a heavy shake in the steering wheel and felt it shake. It only lasted for 5 seconds tops. Its been a day and a half since then and have had no more shaking. A friend said that some mud might have gotten stuck and feel out after the shaking. Is this right?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year Jeep? What brand lift? What additioanal components (track bar, t-case drop, etc.), if any, were installed? How fast were you going when it shook? Were you accellerating, decelerating or coasting?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tarheel4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a 2000 jeep cherokee with a 3 inch rustys offroad products, its been on for a week. I was probably accelerating getting up to about 45, i think it was changing gears 2nd to 3rd.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it hasn't done it again, I would suspect that there was some mud or other debris caught in one of the rims that became noticable when you hit that speed. After a few seconds it got thrown clear and smoothed out. You'd be surprised how little mud it will take in a rim to shake a Jeep pretty badly. I came off a trail after a weekend of wheeling and was shaking so badly at 35, I swore I broke something. I stopped and cleaned some mud out of the pass side rim and it was smooth as the day I drove it off the lot...go figure. Wink

The low pinion front axles on the '00's and '01's are a little more prone to driveline vibrations than earlier years. That's not saying you've got or will develop any. Again, since it hasn't done it since I doubt it's a driveline problem.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: