Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Guy Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronzuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: New Guy Question Reply with quote

Hello all,

b4 I get to my question, just want to say hi to all. Been lurking here on and off since I acquired my Rubicon. Some of you may remember me, I was in a black sami & tagged along on February ride at Rausch creek a couple years ago. I remember Eric (Dark Red TJ w/ ford 9") & Drak.

Anyway, here's my problem...bought the 04 Rube last November, and pretty much right off the bat noticed a oscillating sound in the drivetrain
on pavement (not a trail rig yet!). Can only here it at @ 15-20 mph while coasting and was pretty much impossible to tell exactly where it was coming from. Well now it's got 9800 miles on it and while I was underneath greasing it I noticed a mild grease/oil seepage out the back of the hub area on the right front. So, I thought ha! that's where the noise has been coming from. Took it to the dealer this week and they are going to order & replace the RF hub assembly.

Keep in mind I'm new to jeeps and dana axles (been a sami & toy mostly) and never had one apart or even seen one apart. 1) does this sound reasonable to all of you and 2) because of the noise that is there, should they be replacing anything else such as shafts bearings races etc.? (i don't know what the "assembly" is made up of)

The mechanics couldn't hear the noise when all 4s were off the ground and no weight on the wheels. This has me concerned that there may be a machining problem w/ the axle housing/hub casting or something.

You guys seem pretty knowledgeable about you vehicles, so I thought I'd ask and maybe save myself some future aggravation (knwledge is a powerful tool).

Sorry fo the long winded first post........Thanks,

Ron
rubicondon53

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, I'm here in Berks county rite across the line. So we are neighbors! I got my rubi , an o4, last march, & have just a little over 12,000 miles on it & so far, the only problem I have is a paint failure on the hood, the dealership wanted, very badly to give me crap about it, as a lot of off-road scratches are visible all over the rubi. I just started to make a nasty scene in front of a lot of customers, not too nasty, but let them know I wasn't taking any of their crap, in a very loud, albeit, polite way. A gentle arm twisting if you will.

My advise to you is to contact Jeep headquarters in Toledo , Oh, & find out who the big Mahoff is here on the eastern seaboard, for service problems. The worst thing you can do, is to let up on them,, the more you pressure them, the more likely they are to do what is rite.

As I said b-4, only facia problems with mine so far, but I will be listening for that noise.

Have you been to the Paragon yet? I was last year, but as a newbie to how the operated the park I went alone & then hooked up with vehicles much less capable then mine. It would be nice to go up with only a group of 3, with similar jeeps!

later on. hilift hilift

04 rubi, 2" lift, racks on top & rear, for camping gear, cold air intake.. off we go into the wild wild north!!
Ronzuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey neighbor! Wernersville, not far away at all Wink I don't want to get into a pi$$ing match with them....yet, just want some friendly advice from those in the know. I'll give them a chance to make things right and then if need be I can climb all over them.

This jeep is my DD for a while so mods will come slow and as cash allows. Been to PAP many times in the zuk and once in the 2000 dodge p/u I traded on the Rube. That too was a daily driver and I had my share of dings and pinstripes after one ride. No more DDs on the trail...I can beat the trail rig when I feel the need.

Anybody else want to chime in with info? It's not going in until the 1st of August so I have time to gather some opininions.

thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: