Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! Suggestions to correct Steering problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdawg318

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: HELP! Suggestions to correct Steering problem Reply with quote

I have a 98 ZJ 5.2 lifted approx 8" with 35's and of course I have a problem. My steering is all over the place. It pulls from one side to the other very sporadically. Also my steering wheel moves back and forth and my tires do not. I have to drive down the road constantly moving my hand side-to-side to keep my Jeep straight. I have a 3" drop Pitman Arm, Front Adjustable Trac-bar and Bracet, two steering stabilizers and the proper length sway bar links. I have Bilstein 5150 shocks all the way around. I do not have a long arm system. I had adjustable control arms made to the proper length. What gets me is that when I have my 3" skyjacker and 2" spacers in I had just the basic system: lower control arms, springs, shocks and a front trac bar relocator bracket and had no problems. I had the stock steering stabalizer on. I could cruise down I-95 at 90mph with no worries. Now I cant even drive 40mph without getting scared. And its not a death wobble its a constant jerking. When taken to my local off-road shop they checked the alignment and said that it was all good. The only suggetion I have recieved is to remove the second steering stabalizer. I looked into using the steering box brace for the XJ but no one I spoke with knew if it would work on a ZJ - not even the manufactures of it. Any help would be kindly appreciated. Thanks, Mark
unimog69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say pull your second stabilizer and see what happens. I have never seen a bracket that bolts to the front diff like that, I would think it would make your steering components pull on your axle, your tierod is supposed to move freely and your constricting it w/ that stabalizer. As for a steering box brace Kevinsoffroad.com make them for ZJs. $80. SHort arms may have something to do w/ what your experiancing as well. My $.2
'96 Limited, NV249, 5.2, K&N FIPK, Red Top, Dana30 open, Dana44AL TrackLoc, Custom 3.5" RE lift, Rancho RSX shocks, 32" BFG A/T, Tomken rear bumper, custom front bumper w/ receiver, KOR Sliderz and Xmember/ T. Case skid.
mdawg318

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did pull the stabilizer and everything is fine now. I did not think having two on there was a good idea but it was suggested by the local 4x4 shop to help correct my problem and instead it made it worse. Now I just need to upgrade to an Old Man Emu stabilizer since they are a bit more robust than the Skyjacker. Thaks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: