Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this bad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Is this bad? Reply with quote

I bought this TJ98 Sahara about 2 months ago, imported from VA and leased in NY for awhile ( I found a bunch of insurance papers and receipts)

I was told it is common where this jeep was that the streets are salted and to expect rust on the undercarriage.

I dont know if this is normal for a 7 year old jeep, either way , I will be trying to clean up as much as I can and paint over it with some black paint ( the type used to prevent further rust)

The brake lines feel solid but are completly covered in rust, my mechanic said they should be safe for another 3-4 years, but since my GF drives my jeep with her 2 little girls, I dont want to risk it, and soon as I can afford to will have them replaced. Was told it would cost around $300 to exchange all the brake lines. Does that sound like a fair price?

DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh that looks about right for the age..
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, normal as can be. The northeast is hell on vehicles in the winter. You should see my undercarriage Confused .
Gamgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you clean it up?

And what did you do to your undercarriage to protect it or prevent it from getting worse?

Is scraping it off with sandpaper and brush + dremmel then washing, and paiting the way to go?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im up here in winter road salt central ...aka rust heaven!

I just use a foaming engine cleaner and a pump up sprayer or low pressure from the garden hose to rinse the salt and dirt off.

I dont yet have the rust that you have and like Dan said,its looks normal for the age and area that the rig came from. and its not that bad yet.

If you can find either a spray on or brush on rust reformer or something simular, you can squirt some of that on the bad spots. Most of these type of products chemically convert the rust into something a little more solid and help lock out air which the rust feeds on. Most Im familiar with are either black or turn black after drying and can be sprayed back over with regular spray paint.

I personally wouldnt worry about the header.....the stuff will just cook off it anyway.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Gamgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice, will look for some thing like that in western auto or pep boys

if that fails will check home depot

by the way, wich one is the header?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one thast all rusty on the whole thing...easier way is its hot rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: