Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lockers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Lockers Reply with quote

I just bought a '90 Pioneer. Its a 4.0 with an automatic and 30, 35 axles.

I am going to go with a 3" lift, 31 inch BFG's and need to lock'er up.

ARB? Thats what I choose, but if any of you have anything to advise, please do.

Please comment on intake and exhaust mods you recommend.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The selectability of ARB's is nice, but they are expensive and require a ring and pinion setup to install. You could go with something like a Powertrax or other luchbox style locker. Sure they are not selectable, but they are relatively inexpensive and are also easy to install with normal hand tools...no R&P setup to do.

On a Jeep intake the conical style cold air injection (CAI) intakes are a waste of money IMHO. Why spend that kind of money when you could have a snorkel instead, which is a true CAI, plus has the added benefit of taking your Jeep swimming.

On the exhaust you could go with a Banks or similar type setup...header, new pipes, cat and muffler. Again, $$$. A less expensive option would be to install a Flowmaster 40 or 50 series and maybe a high flow cat.

Remember, in offroad situations torque is what matters. Intake and exhaust mods help the engine to breathe better which helps create more HP at high RPM's, they do nothing for torque (if anything they will decrease max torque a little). The 4.0 makes it's max torque at 3K. So you won't see to many gains from expensive intake or exhaust mods.

Having said all that if the stock header is cracked and/or the exhaust is getting ready to fall out...why not upgrade? Otherwise, put the money towards mods that will give you bang for the buck. Wink

My $0.02

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom,
I re-thought my goals and looked at the time I will be spending in snow, Moab, here on the ranch and, of course, pavement.

The money saved by going with non-selectable lockers will justify not going with ARB. $ doesn't grow on mesquite trees here.

I also agree that torque is more important on this rig than high revs and horsepower, so no hurry on engine mods outside of cat-back and flowmaster 50.

Got any specific recomendations on lockers? Lots out there.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to go with a lunchbox style, I'd recommend Powertrax. I have one in my front axle. It was easy to install and it's quieter than an E-Z Locker. Now "quieter" is a relative term...I've been in and/or around Jeeps with E-Z Lockers...they clunk and bang all over the place. The Powertrax makes the occasional noise when disengaging, especially in left turns, and I can feel the backlash in the steering wheel. A slight backlash is especially noticable when going through a long gentle corner (like on the highway)....I don't hear it, but I can feel it engaging and disengaging in the steering wheel.

Still, I'm happy with it and plan on putting one in the rear shortly.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: