Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tranfer case not dis engaging

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: tranfer case not dis engaging Reply with quote

I recently bought a (GC 97 loredo (on thurs) and I didnt try the TC until tonight just to make sure it worked. well after it went into both part time and full time 4 high and low. I drove home and when I went to back into my driveway I noticed the steering got really tight (ie front diff still getting power) and their was no indication from the screen or from the shifter that I was in FWD so I put it in nutral let it roll a couple of inches and that put it back into 2HI and it seemed to work fine. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or if it just a fluke and theirs nothing to be worried about.

PS does any one know where I can buy a external tire carrier, I HATE SPACE SAVERS. and I am going to replace it with a full size and dont want it to take up trunk space. thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your tires... If someone has put different size tires on it or the rear are new and front or worn. (Or what ever.) it will bind the transfer case...
THe 242 is pretty sensative to tire size ... You have to have 4 tires same name brand and same size on it.. And all with equal amount of wear..

I am pretty sure that will be your problem..

Especially since dealerships are bad about sticking two new tires on a vehicle and selling it so the tires look good..

Let us know...

OH... And just so you know the reason I said same name is because (for instance) BF goodrich 265-70-15 might be 1/4" taller or shorter than Goodyear of same size... Different companies dont bother making their tires the same size just because they are numbered the same size.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup the right side rear tire is slightly smaller the guy I bought it from got some cheap ass tire put on when he got a nail in is sidewall and the tires need to be replaced anyway. and I have another ? my ABS light is on, he said it could be the different sized tires, is this true or am I looking into some more work to me to do Neutral . I am also taking suggestions on tires. This will mainly be an on road truck with some camping trips and cough cough sick days to the trails. Smile I was looking at same BFG ATs. looks like a really good on/off road tire, and they have been around for ever.

Also kinda off topic, I am looking at a coil spacer lift. 1-2 inchs and has anyone ever had a problem with these and are the a good cheap lift for what I would be doing. I know their wont be any rock crawling or stuff like that But I do take my stuff A LOT farther than most people would ever take their tricked out rigs. I get a lot of "how the hell did you get that thing up that trail". and that things is a stocjk f350 4 door long bed desiel, it wheels really well. lots of power but dont get stuck cause very few people can get an 8000 lbs vehicle out of the mud.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly if it where me.. I would look for a 96 or newer Grand and get the rear brakes off it..(Rear disks that is.) Then just bypass the crappy ABS and go 4 wheel disks.. It will stop 5 times better.. The ABS scared the hell out of me with the spongy pedal and if you hit the brakes in a pudle it feels like no brakes at all..

But thats just me.... I would imagine the ABS light is on becasue of dirt in the sensor or the tone ring... Pop off the tires and clean them and see what happens..

If you are going to be going in any mudd whatsoever the BFG AT's are poop..

I would suggest the Goodyear MTR's.. They wear well and are pretty good in all terrains..

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the four wheel disk set up and the breaks work very well but my tight rear tire has a tendency to lock up realticly easliy and scares the crap out of my when the rear end starts to go around at around 45 on the free way. its not a very pleasant experience. and I am going to have the sensors check for the placement, atleast this is what the guy at les schuab told me. and it seemed to make sense, And I have checked out all the fuses and their all fine. and I just got new tires so their all the same.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did yours come stock with 4 wheel disks???

Try pulling the ABS fuses and relay and driving it down the road and slamming the brakes on ... See if there is a difference..

I used to have issues with my ABS if I rode thru a puddle of water and then had to hit the brakes they would feel VEEEERY spongy and I would almost crap my pants.. Mr. Green

I have had no issues since getting rid of abs..

It wont hurt anything to pull those fuses and that relay and it will turn the system off effectivly giving you a non ABS system..

If your rear is sliding around they may be locking up because of a bad Proportioning valve.. Get one from the bone yard from a newer grand and see if that helps.. The stock setup sometimes holds residual pressure that could cause the backs to lock before the front.. (or Jegs has adjustable proportioning valves) you want your front brakes to do something like 60% of your stopping... If your back brakes are locking up first that could be your problem..(meaning proportioning valve)

Good luck..

Carl

viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to rip the rear disk brakes off an old jeep and put them on a rear drumb brake set-up? I have a 94 laredo with drums. Do I have to then by pass the abs or can I just splice the disk brakes into the existing lines?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the ABS now.. Its on the axle not on the brakes.. So you can get some disks from another grand and they bolt on pretty easily and your ABS will still work...

viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outstanding
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I changed the breaks( Im pretty sure it was before this happend, now they get reakky spongy really fast and it sucks) the driver side rear rotor has rusted itself to the hub. and I was out their until around 10 oclock trying to to piss my neighbors off ( I live in a gaited community and the nighborhood thinks my family is the biggest groups of white trash because we have a 30ft travel trailer that has been parked in the driveway sometimes) but I was pounding on that rotor with a crap load of different hammers. and finally alot of wd40 laiter and a lead hammer got it off. it was such a pain in the ass.
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight the power my friend. Gated communities are just another way of poeple trying to keep out what they think are the "undesierables".
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was up to me I wouldnt live here but its that cant afford to move out at 18 thing, plus food is free, school paid for, but still get bitched at for not doing things the right way(my dads way) and the other day at work i parked underneth a tree and my freshly washed GC got crapped on by about 20-30 birds. it was a mess so I washed it again the next day and the bird crap stained my paint, it wasnt on their for more that 24 hours and it looks like someone took a highlighter and dabbled all over my truck

I HATE BIRDS
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that sucks a big one. I am not sure how you would get that off. I am with for living at home. I live close enough to my college that I decided to stay with my parents. I am one of those lucky kids that gets along pretty good with my parents. I would never pass up the free food.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: