Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I drop the **** oil pan???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: How do I drop the **** oil pan??? Reply with quote

Hey guys!

New to the board but I have been lurking a while.

Listen, I got this 96 cherokee a few weeks ago. Her oil pressure was a little low and i decided I would change the pump. Now I don't have a fancy garage. I'm right out in the apartment parking lot. All 98 degrees of it.

So I set out to pull the oil pan and man alive is it a beast. The front axle is right in the middle of all the action. I jack her up a little this way and a little that way and after a good long session of beatin' and pryin' I get the oil pan out and change the pump.

Now I have to get the oil pan back on!!! Checked the fit and it seems even worse going in than it was coming out.

Has anybody got an easy way to work with the oil pan on XJ's?

Thanks,
I'm looking foreward to some good replies.

later
turd

Jenny:
'94 4.0 2x4 XJ
with lots of BODY CARNAGE
Big Kev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has a 94 and the drain bolt got stripped from somebody cross threading it after an oil change. he took it to the shop to get fixed and they had to pull the engine out to get the oil pan off. I personally have never had to do it, so i don't know how to get it back. Good luck
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done it, but you could rent an engine hoist, pull the motor mounts and jack the engine up a little to give you some more room.

Just an idea.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 88 cherokee. When I have oil pan issues the best way to remove it is to lift the vehicle and support it. Disconnect the front shocks and lower the front suspension till the tires are on the ground. This gives plenty of room to remove the oil pan because the front axle is now out of the way. I am not sure of your vehicle but you may give this a try. Razz
turd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm late in getting back but I did finally get the oil pan back on.

What I did was I took the pan to my buddy's shop where he has one of those large metal welding tables. This table is solid steel and has a very flat top. I clamped the gasket surface of the pan to the table to keep the pan from warping and then very gently, very cautiously....

Beat a dent in the thing with a big hammer. Just enough to clear. Beat a little, test fit, beat a little, test fit and so on. I put the dent in where the axle meets the pan so when I mocked it up I had to bend the oil pickup a little to get it all to fit nicely. Also welded in some of the places where the metal was a little kinked but that was just for good measure.

All works just fine. drove it a lot this weekend and had no problems. Still I wish I had seen the post about disconnecting the shocks. That probably lwould have worked pretty well.

Anyway, thanks for the replies everybody.

Jenny:
'94 4.0 2x4 XJ
with lots of BODY CARNAGE
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Oil pan Reply with quote

Ok, I guess that way will work also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: