Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets see your Dogs!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is an unethical breeder??

One who breeds for profit, breeds their girls to death, breeds many different breeds, does not breed to improve the breed structurally or healthy.

What is a puppy mill?

same as an unethical breeder but on a larger scale. Sells to pet stores.

What is a Back Yard Breeder (BYB)?

Same as the unethical breeder. One who does not spay or neuter their pets, accidental breeder, breeds to show the miracle of birth to children, breeds because their pet has a great personality, breeds because it's registered and doesn't know the full impact of being a respectable breeder.
Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING DO NOT WATCH THIS IF YOU YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE REALITY OF OVER POPULATION

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=yadkin_county
THIS is the reason I am so adamant about controlling the pet population.
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the HBO docu on shelters? Made me cry. I used to volunteer at the local shelter, but it made me sad. I adopted a sick cat from there and was completely devastated when it died 8 months later. I can't handle that pain. You grow attached to the animals there, and when they get put down, it makes you so sad. Too many unwanted animals. Get them from shelters, not breeders!
Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are SO many unwanted dogs in shelters ( both mixed and pure bred ) and I just wonder how many are there due to someone not taking everything into consideration before breeding. A few things that I go over with people who mention wanting to breed their dog......

I. Why? A litter should be bred only after very careful thought, research, and study, and because the breeder:

A. is devoted to a particular breed.
B. believes that the breed as a whole is more important than any one dog.
C. breeds to the Standard, with the intent of improving the breed.
D. enjoys nurturing puppies.
E. enjoys interacting with people.

II. Why Not? Do not breed:

A. to re-create your pet.
B. to have a nurturing experience for your children.
C. to have a nurturing experience for your dog.
D. to give your dog a sexual experience.
E. to make money

III. Commitment. The responsibility for the safety and well-being of dogs should be of paramount importance. Breeders must:

A. have a flexible work schedule
B. have the physical energy and be prepared for sleepless nights.
C. have the support of family and friends. Someone must always be available to care for dogs.
D. be prepared for illness / death in puppies they keep or sell.
E. be prepared to care for geriatric dogs.
F. be prepared for illness or disease in puppies they keep or sell.
G. be prepared to keep puppies that cannot be placed in proper homes.

IV. Resources. This includes all avenues from which you can gain additional knowledge.

A. Mentors. Good mentors are breed experts with many years of experience whose ethics, integrity and reputation are beyond reproach. Mentors should embrace the philosophy that winning is not a goal, but a by-product of hard work.

1. If your breed mentor is not close by geographically, find someone nearby in a different breed with whom you can exchange ideas in person.
2. There should be a bond of trust between you and your mentor.

B. Code of Ethics / Guidelines. Many breed organizations have codes of ethics or guidelines which applicants are required to sign in order to join.
C. Facilities. The immediate environment should foster interaction between dogs and owners, and maximize the well-being of both.

1. Be aware of your dogs' impact on the neighborhood. Consider neighbors, local laws and kennel license requirements.
2. Have the room to house breeding stock and puppies comfortably.
3. Be willing to purchase all necessary equipment for your dogs' well-being.

D. Veterinary Care. A breeder's veterinarian should be both knowledgeable and communicative.

V. Financial Concerns. Dog breeding is an expensive hobby. The ethical breeder doesn't make money. Genetic testing, vet bills, quality dog food, show expenses and other necessary supplies are all expensive!
GoTopless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owen i know all that stuff.....my dog is AKC registered and this woman who shows dogs wants to have mine breed with hers because mine has a good bloodline...she will be selling the puppies to her freinds for show and the rest she will keep. I am not doing this to make money Wink
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if there is no pure bred in your local shelter, any shelter should be able to provide you a listing for pure bred rescue groups. These groups specialize in a specific breed, know where to find them, and place them in carefully selected homes. If they feel the breed would be a bad match for your lifestyle, listen to them. They probably know better than you think.
Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candi wrote:
Did you see the HBO docu on shelters? Made me cry. I used to volunteer at the local shelter, but it made me sad. I adopted a sick cat from there and was completely devastated when it died 8 months later. I can't handle that pain. You grow attached to the animals there, and when they get put down, it makes you so sad. Too many unwanted animals. Get them from shelters, not breeders!

I think breeding shgould be banned until the animal population is under control... last thing we needf is people who have no experience breeding their dogs... knowing GT she has no idea what it entails or what "ethical" breeding is all about. I would imagine she thinks she is going to make money off it... GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr makesd me so mad.
Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoTopless wrote:
Owen i know all that stuff.....my dog is AKC registered and this woman who shows dogs wants to have mine breed with hers because mine has a good bloodline...she will be selling the puppies to her freinds for show and the rest she will keep. I am not doing this to make money Wink

GT get your dog neutered... watch that video I just posted. You are simply adding to teh huge problem that already exists. If you aren't going to get anything out of it then don't do it. Get him neutered.
Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone else mentioned breeding a mixed breed in this thread as well. This would constitue unethical breeding. there is no rason to EVER breed a mixed dog. the pups will not be AKC registered and the only reason I can see is for profit... I think the biggest problem is that people just have no clue how many dogs are being killed everyday because they chose to breed their "cute" dog... People please do some research on what you are doing.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Owen. I whole heartedly agree. My sister and I bred her dog (my dog Tyr is from that litter). First off, we made sure that the pups would have good homes before we even considered it (we were prepared to keep any pups that we could not find good homes for). We then paid for the stud, all the genetic testing/paperwork and all of vet bills (for both the mother and the pups....6 beautiful little red nose pit bulls survived). It was a HUGE expense. We also did not charge one dime for any of the pups and we know where each one of those dogs are today.

We usually get to see them all once a year or so...kind of a "doggie family reunion".

DO NOT underestimate what you are getting into when breeding dogs...or any animal for that matter.

Listen to Owen, he's right!

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GoTopless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not trying to get anything out of it...the dog is getting bred for show wether you like it or not. You think i dont know about all that stuff you are preaching to me about? Just because you joined a dog forum dosent mean you know everything. I have been learning about animals and ecspecially dogs all my life so dont even try to tell me to get him fixed. I am breeding him once with the lady with the female for show and then he will be fixed...end of conversation........
MsWrangler98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of my dogs are pound puppies. I worked at this one tack shop and this women who would come in who worked at the local pound. She brought this one dog in, which she normally never did. She kept saying what a great dog she was and how horrible it was for her to be put to sleep today. Well I spent about 20 mins with the dog then after work went and got her. She was actually getting ready to get the blue juice when I got there Sad

Ended up that I couldn't keep her because she was attacking my parents Lab viciously. So ended up giving her to a family with 2 small childred. They ended up having to put her to sleep because the grandmother tripped and fell towards the kids and the dog attacked her.... trying to protect the kids Sad

Its disgusting what we do to animals. Those were some gorgous dogs that were put to sleep in that video... how the hell does one because some heartless to be able to work a job like that???
Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoTopless wrote:
i am not trying to get anything out of it...the dog is getting bred for show wether you like it or not. You think i dont know about all that stuff you are preaching to me about? Just because you joined a dog forum dosent mean you know everything. I have been learning about animals and ecspecially dogs all my life so dont even try to tell me to get him fixed. I am breeding him once with the lady with the female for show and then he will be fixed...end of conversation........

If you can sleep at night knowing you are contributing to the death of dogs then good for you. Personally I think showing animals is ridiculous...
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoTopless wrote:
iI am afraid to let him out
sometimes cause the hicks around these parts might shoot him cause he looks like a fox Neutral

Does this mean you would let the dog out on it's own? I sincerly hope that you care more for your animals than to allow then to be put into harms way because you simply can't be bothered to put it on a lead and take it out for walk twice a day.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is trying to slam you GT and you know that...it's just that soooo many animals get put down due to over population that there is no reason to irresponsibly bring more into the mix. It's just something I care a lot about and it sounds like Owen does too...

Just make sure you are prepared for the expense and responsibility of the process and make sure that all the pups will have good homes....in other words people that you know...

Oh and BTW....I've personally never joined a dog forum. Mr. Green

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: